PALS
Country
US
State
Ct
City
Hartford
Hello all,

I have recently joined the forum in search of answers. I was diagnosed with ALS and I have a few questions regarding some symptoms. I was recently diagnosed and some of my symptoms were; my arm feeling like a log, small muscle twitching, speech problems where I could only talk at a low voice and slurred speech, leg weakness, tiredness, loss of energy, hand cramps and bent fingers, also I couldn't make a fist with my fingers without excruciating pain and cut fingernails and was not able to make them straight since they were bent. I had other symptoms to this as well.

Now, everything I researched online says there is no cure or treatment for ALS. I have been feeling better and as I read everything I could, books, articles, personal accounts, these symptoms would not go away and I would not be able to regain function of my hands or speech.

Since I was recently diagnosed, my symptoms have nearly gone away. I still have muscle weakness and minor twitching in my arms but everything else is better. My arm that felt like a 'log' is no longer weighted like that and it feels fresh and light. Before, I could not life it over my head, now i can lift it over my head and spin it around many times. Also, before i could not make my fingers straight, now I can straighten out my fingers, make a fist with no pain, cut my fingernails, and do everything I once could. I can also crush bottles and it feels light unlike it previously was. Now onto my speech, when I was diagnosed i could not yell, or even talk in a normal voice. My speech was extremely slurred and it seemed as if my tongue got in the way. Now, I can yell as loud as i could before, sing, and play the piano with my fingers. My speech is still a little slured but I believe it is because I am tired.

I do not know what to make of all these symptoms and what is going on. everything I read online and in books and everything else say once you lose the connection from the brain to the nerves you can never regain them back. Hence, slowly progressing, fast progression, or not progressing but you could never gain those movement back since they are technically dead neurons.

Does anyone have any advice or response that might help me out? I would like to know what is going on and if anyone has anything to share. That would be great. Thank you for all of your help and god bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back