Diagnosis
02/2013
Country
US
State
WI
City
Eau Claire
I was fitted Tuesday and have the Quattro FX. I have searched on here and there is quite a bit of information about masks and that particular one seems quite popular.
I agree with those on here, it's light and quite comfortable.
However, sometime during the night I bite on the inside of my lower lip right under the left corner, almost the cheek area.
It's also hard to make a good seal as I turn from side to side while sleeping. Several times I'll wake up with air blasting my eye or down my chin.

I tried the Ultra Mirage on too, but the Quattro FX just felt better.

Prior to getting the bipap I had used a cpap off and on and had the Ultra Mirage mask. I can't remember any issues with biting my lower lip but of course the last time I used it was a while ago and my Bulbar ALS symptoms were just starting.

Anyway...has anyone else had this problem and did switching to a different mask help? And if so which mask was most helpful in alleviating the biting?

I always appreciate whatever advice you guys give and I hope some day I can give advice too instead of just asking for it all the time!

Joel

Do you have a chin strap? That may help. I use a dreamweaver mask. Just covers my nose. I couldn't use the plastic ones--they irritated me no end.

I had the same leaking issues and I've had a quattro fx for 2 years; I found its all about the technique of putting it on, needs to be wiped out everyday and rinsed in hot water and vinegar weekly, loosen all the straps daily about half way, when you put the face piece on you MUST angle it so the nose goes in first and swing the mask down over the mouth also hold it in place, clip the bottom straps in but tighten the top straps first, don't turn on your side for about half an hour while the suction creates a good seal.. Try it .. I've also recently started lip biting and think its from the muscle breakdown in my jaw, I put vaseline around my lip which seems to help

Thanks for the replies.

Notme, I do not have a chin strap. I am a mouth breather because sometimes I cannot exhale through my nose due to weakening soft palette muscles. So I have to have a full face mask. I will find out if there is a chin strap available.

In the meantime I will try your suggestion Karvorka.I put it on pretty much how you suggest, but I lay on my side right away.

Why don't you try a lightweight tooth guard. Your dentist can make one to fit. I use one and it keeps me from grinding my teeth or biting my cheek or lip.

Bob used to bite the inside of his cheeks. We asked about using a mouth guard but were warned against it because it posed a potential choking hazard. Just a thought.

I have mouth guards but stopped using them when they started to make me gag. Also, I'm not so sure they work well with the Bipap....

I sometimes bite my tongue, inside of my cheek, and or lips....I guess it's just something I will have to live with. So far no bleeding, but it'll wake me up at times. With the bipap I sleep much more soundly than before, so it's a slight trade off....

I had a kind of weird thought about biting and sleep....has anyone had their teeth pulled out and switched to dentures? I know, radical.....but in the scheme of this disease, is it really out of the realm of possibilities?

Okay, back to earth.

I hope and pray everyone has a good weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back