Diagnosis
12/2012
Country
FI
State
Southern Finland
City
Espoo
I've been unable to straighten my left middle finger for almost a year, and my right index finger for 6 months.Got an ALS dg 2 months ago. What I don't understand is that if I put my arm behind my neck, I'm still able to move those fingers, as though the shoulder position had an effect on the nerve dysfunctioning. No doctor has been able to explain this observation.

Does anybody have similar findings?

Yep! Palm up I can move some fingers, palm down I can't. Very strange.
Stranger still, I can raise my arm over my head when I'm laying on my back. If I'm on my stomach, no can do!

Have you considered a resting splint for your hand? It's helping me keep my fingers straighter. I use it at night; in the morning they are straighter.... But they do revert to curling as day progresses. And my affected hand frequently swells a lot. Does yours?

No swelling, but a strange feeling of tightness in the shoulder blade when extending the finger in said position.

Could be either muscle weakness or nerve issues with the brachial plexus or a combination. My trapezius muscles are gone so I can only lift my arms a little bit to the side and my scm muscles are solid as a rock from fibrosis which causes all kinds of wide stuff across the top of my arms with both hands going numb for hours. The left has been numb and losing all strength lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back