Diagnosis
02/2013
Country
US
State
WI
City
Eau Claire
I have read on here from a few vets that are getting disability and for the most part it sounds like things went very smooth for them.

However, here is my conundrum!

I submitted all documentation needed to the Milwaukee VA Medical Center and received a letter from them stating "We need documentation from you showing the connection that you have had ALS since discharge, or that your ALS was caused by your military service".

It's difficult to believe that they would still be sending out this kind of statement 4 years after ALS is made a presumptive service connected disease.

I am sending a few more documents soon, including my latest EMG and other findings from the Mayo Clinic.
Any ideas on what I need to break through the ignorance? This is a large regional office, they should surely know everything in relation to ALS and VA Benefits.

BTW...I am already a 20% disable vet. so I am in the system and have been for 25 years!

Thank you from the bottom, and TOP of my heart!

I would ask them what sort of documentation they want. My dad is 100% disabled vet from agent orange and it took him 10 years to get it all straight. He had to show proof of where and when he was in viet nam, it was terrible for him. I wish you luck and prayers. Hugs.

Call your service officer. If you do not have one, I recommend PVA. Or, call the 1 800 number.

its hard to believe the va has those kind of numb nuts working for them. as of january 2012 you automatic receive 100% disability with 90 days active service regardless of duty station. why only 90 days, don't know unless they are starting to realize vacines may be a cause

I agree, call the PVA or a Veteran's Service Officer as soon as possible. ALS is not only presumptive for veterans but it is also rated immediately at 100%.

I went thru PVA and it still took 5 months and only after I got my congressman involved did we get any progress. I guess the VA's definition of automatic is different from mine. It's bad enough to battle als let alone having to fight tooth and nail with VA. My experience with VA has been a nightmare so far.

We had troubles of all kinds and went to our representative and finally got action on issues.... you are in my prayers!

Believe it or not I went to my Veteran's Service Officer and she had no idea about ALS and presumptive condition.
I am going to check with PVA next and if need be my congressman.

Pearshoot...I love your response. Yup, they are numb nuts! LOL!

Thanks to everyone for ideas and I'll keep ya posted!

I'd suggest sending a message to Mike here. Atsugi, I believe, is his screen name. His wife was a PAL and I believe he works for the VA. She was the Vet. I'm sure there are others.

I'd also contact the Paralyzed Veterans Association for assistance, and do as others suggested and see what info they want. It's my understanding that if you were active duty for more than 90 days you qualify. Sorry you're getting the run around.

Use the search feature and type in Veterans and see what others might be able to help you with this.

Wish I could offer more

PARALIZED VETERANS OF AMERICA NATIONAL SERVICE OFFICE 400 S. 18th STREET ROOM 109 ST LOUIS MO 63103 this might be a good starting point i sometimes wonder if va delays as long as possible thinking you may be gone before approving. disability payments are retro-active from date of application. praying for success and quick response

Last edited:
It's a travesty when vets are treated poorly & for vets with ALS it is even more of a travesty. The VSO's (veterans service officers) and PVA's should all be knowledegeable regarding the presumptive nature of ALS. Sometimes we have to educate those around us when these things happen. Give them the final rulings:

The presumptive ruling is 2900-AN05

The rating rule for ALS to be 100% immediately is 2900-AN60 - at 100% the disabled veteran's spouse and qualifying children can get ChampVA, which is health insurance

It is unfortunate that we have to be the educators to the people who are helping us but it is what it is and it's important to stick to it in the nicest way possible. The nature of ALS requires the veteran and their caregivers to work closely with those who help them secure their benefits, put in benefit increases when necessary including wheelchairs, accessible vans, housing grants, etc.

The folks at the VA who are the service providers will do whatever they can to help you, most of the time, and it really helps when you all work together as a team. Sometimes they do not know of a new ruling and you have to educate them too. Recently the VA authorized travel expenses for a veteran who is approved for a service dog. No one at the Durham VA knew about it so we educated them about it and it looks like it will pan out in a few months. This ruling is RIN 2900-AN51. I emailed my husband's social worker at the VA and together we worked with prosthetices.

Once you are in the VA system you will be satisfied that you pursued it. The benefits are immensely helpful for someone confronting this disease.

You can easily search those rulings by putthing it in a search engine.

I hope you will be successful very soon.

My husband was in the Navy. He was a Seabee and was never on a ship. He was however on the ground working on military installations as a Seabee in Vietnam. Had he not been on the ground and on a ship he would not have qualified for disability as a vet from ALS. We had to provide proof of his whereabouts during the war. It was frustrating.

Oh MY~~~ goodness yes..... PERSISTENCE is the word of the day when dealing with the VA! You have just begun to fight.... dealing with the VA makes dealing with ALS almost..... I said almost, a walk in the park. Absolutely get with the PVA and begin making copies of everything. ( NOTE) MANY trees will die. Go and purchase several binders.

In my neck of the woods, no one in the VA had ever heard of the ALS connection. You all know the song: "LET's start at the very beginning....." I was told no so many times, I thought I would lose my mind. It was the most harrowing time of my life... negotiating with them, completing forms for the 2nd time ( until I called them on it) and then completing MORE paperwork in addition caring for my PALS.

Yes, I do believe they think you will either die first or at the very least go away and give up. NOT! MIKE or Atsugi was the best.
Good Luck. PM me if you need any help.
G.

The Paralyzed Veterans of America organization really worked for me. At that time, unfortunately, ALS didn't cary the automatic 100% service connected disability classification as it does now. If your Mayo Clinic has diagnosed ALS in your case it is a no-brainer for the VA to approve you at the 100% service connected disability as long as you were credited with activie duty service, regardless of Branch. Go get them, and good luck ! ! ! Also, I will ditto NOTME's comments regarding Atsugi. He is the resident expert on VA affairs and how to approach them.

Hi all,

I have been in contact with The Paralyzed Veterans of America here in Milwaukee. I talked with her at length and she too is a little bewildered by the hold up. She told me that here in WI claims for ALS move rapidly, like in 2 to 3 weeks from applying to approval.

For now she believes I should probably pursue this through the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs since they are currently representing me at the Veterans Administration. I'm giving them a try until I receive and sign the letter to make the PVA my POA.

I did send the Veterans Admin a scathing email yesterday asking how anyone working for them could not know the ruling that ALS is a presumptive disease. There was some movement, a couple hours later they updated my status so that no additional documentation is required. However, it still reads that the estimated time to completion is 06/06/2013 to 09/18/2013. Where those dates come from is anyone's guess...LOL!

For now all I can do is sit and wait...

I appreciate all the help you guys provided. I will be sending Atsugi a PM ASAP too!

Have a great weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back