Diagnosis
02/2013
Country
ISR
State
Sharon
City
Raanana
I was finally diagnosed with ALS two weeks ago after being assured by every neurologist and neurosurgeon I consulted over a 10 week period, that it wasn't ALS. EMG this week confirmed the previous observed diagnosis.

I am by nature an inveterate optimist, which has enabled to deal with a long history of medical problems including removal of gall bladder, two bouts of cancer, a prostatechtomy, high blood pressure for 45 years and diabetes - to name but a few.

However, I find that my most powerful ally - and I suspect I am going to need a lot of allies in the coming weeks and months - is a sense of humor. I have tried to look at my situation (barely walking, weak left arm, but thankfully no bulbar symptoms, so far) in as positive a light as possible and this has clertainly given me some strength to deal with what is and what is likely to come.

I am writing a weekly blog which may give some insight into how I cope and welcome fellow PALS and others to read it, maybe smile a little and comment. It can be found at jackschuldenfrei.blogspot.co.il

Wishing you all strength and peace

Well feel free to spread your humor here too. We have a jokes thread that is great for a laugh. You have a really good attitude. I wish you peace. Hugs!

a good attitude goes a long way to making life with ALs easier to bear. I am sorry you have to be here, but hoping for a slow progression. Please come and chat with us!

I am also an optimist and don't let much get in the way of my day to day enjoyment of life, love, and comedy.

for example: Last night as the wife helped me to get setup in bed so I can read before I get to sleep I asked her to bring me a box of Whopper candy malted milk balls we had purchased. A candy high calorie snack to eat while I read. She said OK and went to get the box. She walked over, pull the covers back, pulled down the front of my pajama pants and stuck the box in. I looked at her and she cracked up and said, "I'm just giving you a refill!" She was referring to a huge whopper I'm certain. She has a wonderful sense of humor to me.

Last edited:
Hi Junkie,

I too am a newbie here. Like you I was recently diagnosed.

My normal humor (my wife might argue the 'normal' part) has gotten me over the initial emotional hump and, I hope, has helped my family and friends. I am hoping I can maintain it when I hit the 'milestones' such as needing a wheelchair...

Speaking of humor: Barbie, it's a good thing you live in Florida if you dress like your avatar! ;^)

Hi Barbie,

I see you are caring for someone who has had ALS since 2007. How are they progressing and what limitiations do they currently have?

I ask because 6 years with this disease seems like a good start.

Thanks

jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back