Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Clemente
Hello everyone,

I have been making an active effort not to jump to conclusions and freak myself out, but I am still worried. I have visible atrophy in my right forearm near the wrist, on both the top and the bottom. Comparing my left arm to my right arm, my left is rounded underneath and on top, the right is caved in on top and underneath with those two tendons near my wrist showing clearly underneath. Overall, it has a sunken look, even more so when I flex. I went to my PC hoping he would say, "ah that's totally normal," but he did not. I saw a neurologist who performed a brief (15 - 20 min) nerve conduction test and EMG with the needles in the muscles of my arm. I don't remember if he went in the exact spot of the wasting. He said everything was fine, but due to the briefness of the examination, I am wondering if I should get a second opinion. I am also wondering, if I am having symptoms in my forearm, would an EMG detect those abnormalities from a needle placed higher up in my arm/forearm as well?

The history of having issues with my right arm goes back about a year now though. It began as a sort of tense pain in my forearm when I was playing guitar. I assumed tendonitis and laid off the guitar for a time. The pain never stopped and began getting worse and worse and began migrating to different parts of my right arm and then in to my left arm as well. The pain would often mirror itself, started in one arm, and then a few days later appearing in the same spot in my other arm. I had my blood levels checked and a vitamin d deficiency was found. I had also, without realizing it, lost about 15 pounds, putting me at 5'10" and 124 pounds. I have been taking supplements for two months now and my vitamin levels are normal again. Though I still am having the pain, it is maybe a little bit less painful than it was initially. My weight has come up about ten pounds. I only noticed the atrophy within the past month, and I don't know if it has been going on a long time and I am only noticing it as my weight is returning, or if it is more recent and sudden.

I am seeing a rheumatologist soon, and I hope that sheds some light on this because the mystery is tiresome. I have read that atrophy has two causes, disuse and neuro problems. Is there really no other cause? Could vitamin D, by any stretch, be to blame for this? I don't have any major weakness associated with this issue, at least not yet, though it seems that my right arm fatigues more easily than my left. I have not had a clinical strength test, though I plan to soon. Sorry for writing a book here, and thanks to anyone who is kind enough to read this. Any help or shared experience is appreciated.

I'm sorry about that. Can you tell me where I should post this?

Atrophy and weakness go hand in hand. You need to have a dr look into it. They can test to see if there is truly weakness. Try not to worry too much, stress and make the problem worse. Good luck and keep us posted. You should post under the do I have als section. It is on the home page.

Thank you for the response vickim. I have reposted in the correct "Do I have ALS?" section. I cannot figure out how to close or delete this thread though.

Just don't post anymore on this thread and ask any other questions on a new thread in the do I have als section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back