Learn about ALS
Country
Uk
State
UK
City
Uk
Hey,
I am wanting to gain an understanding of how Cramps come in ALS. I appreciate any help. For those who had Cramps proceed other Symptoms, how long and how persistent were these? I have read that Cramps can come in the night and Disturb Sleep? Did these start as Mild Cramps disturbing your dreams? Like dreaming you have a pain?

Thank You for helping me to expand my Knowledge.

Everyone is different or experiences different things but I only get cramps if I try to force a weak area/muscle to do something it no longer can. For instant turning a screwdriver or attempting to touch my little finger with my thumb causes and instant cramp. I don't get cramps in the night but my wife frequently horrible leg and shin cramps and she does NOT have ALS. Her toes will curl up and cause excruciating pain so lot's of other things can cause cramps.

As mine progresses I may experience cramps in the night but so far so good, try taking magniesuim for cramps and see if that helps?

I have had leg cramps for years. My leg ALS cramps started after my first ALS symptom of right ankle weakness. The ALS cramps are a totally different cramp feeling than a "normal" cramp. Atleast they are for me.

Magnesium Citrate intake is an option when you are dealing with muscle cramps in ALS.
It might not work for everybody but at least it has worked for me.

Hope this helps.

i suffered from severe charley horses for at least 20 years before als, the kind that could make grown man cry. used quinine and potassium. don't think they are connected. after diagnosed als no longer have severe cramps only mild temporary ones

At night, I get an irresistible urge to stretch my legs. This can lead to mild cramping. Not too bad so far. The cramps I used to get during decades of running were many times more painful.

Bob I seem to always get the urge to stretch. I get cramps a lot and they are twice as bad as a charlie horse. Before my diagnosis I was taking Diazepam for muscle twitching which still happens a lot. That helps with both the cramps and spasms or twitches.

Thanks, Cheryl. I will ask my palliative care doc about Diazepam. I get lots twitching too.

My neurologist mentioned a medication for cramps -- the name escapes me -- but said a side effect of stopping the cramps was that my hyper reflexive weak leg might collapse at random when walking.

Bob I seem to always get the urge to stretch. I get cramps a lot and they are twice as bad as a charlie horse. Before my diagnosis I was taking Diazepam for muscle twitching which still happens a lot. That helps with both the cramps and spasms or twitches.

You say you get Cramps after stretching? Does this mean when stretching there is a slight pain that goes when you don't stretch? Or is it that stretching can trigger Cramps to come after you've stretched?

Thank You

noodleneck,

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, a cramp may or may not come after stretching my legs at night. I tighten most all the muscles and alternate with bending my leg joints. It can happen in both legs even though my weakness is one sided. I haven't given much thought as to the source of the physical need. Perhaps I don't move my legs enough while sleeping since ALS onset or because my weak leg limits my daytime walking.

Bob

You say you get Cramps after stretching? Does this mean when stretching there is a slight pain that goes when you don't stretch? Or is it that stretching can trigger Cramps to come after you've stretched?

Thank You

A friend whose Dad had ALS told me tonic water managed the cramps.

Hi Dawne, Tonic Water contains quinine which was long used to combat cramps. They outlawed quinine in the US, but if you drink enough Tonic Water it could help.
It did not seem to help me, btw.

Gabapentin (Neurontin) seems to help me. I also do mild stretching. Cramps are random and everywhere. Some Charlie horse types can last up to two days. The medicine doesn't stop them completely, but the pain is reduced. The only cramps that don't seem to respond to anything but heat, are those in my hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back