04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Hi everyone
Hoping for some suggestions about maintaining a little indepence in adjusting bed covers moving in bed. Things we are going to try. Satin sheets, bed cradle, an idea someone ( I think it was Helen) posted about a soft belt used as a strap to help move weaker leg

Any tips gratefully accepted
Thanks
Nikki

i used a foam wedge at the foot. holds covers up and gives me something to push against to help turn over and relief from cramps in my foot. i also have a stand assist (i think marta calls it a bed cane) held in place by the mattress and gives me something to pull or push against.

I had a "rail" with a bottom part secured by the mattress which I think is like the stand assist marypat mentioned. I used it to aid standing up from the bed and could pull on it to turn in bed. It kept me in a regular bed for a couple of extra months. Now I use the rails of my hospital bed for the same purpose, though moving in bed is more difficult.

Thanks for the idea of using a foam wedge at the foot. I'll look for that. The covers trap my weak leg. And my weak arm is of no use at all on bed covers.

i used a foam wedge at the foot. holds covers up and gives me something to push against to help turn over and relief from cramps in my foot. i also have a stand assist (i think marta calls it a bed cane) held in place by the mattress and gives me something to pull or push against.

You can also use a blanket rack to hold the covers off your feet. I use the soft belt around my legs to help transfer from pwc to commode as well. Its harder to use as your arm strength gets weaker. If you knot the belt just below your knee it gives me better control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback so much!
Stay strong
Nikki

Hi Nikki,
We bought a piece of plastic yard "picket" fencing about 6 feet long, turned it sideways and mounted it on the wall. We used 2x2 pieces underneath to give room behind the "fence." This created a row of rails that were easy to grab. It worked for quite a while, at least until Mike could no longer pull himself over. After that, we used a satin sheet with a drawsheet over it. The drawsheet was made of satin on one side and flannel on the other. This allowed me to rotate his hips from one side to the other to relieve pressure on his backsides. Once his torso was rolled over, I could move his arms and legs to a comfortable position.
Hope this helps.
Lynn

Thank you so much Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back