Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM #1 (permalink)

City: online
State: online
Diagnosed: 01/2010
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
dianan is on a distinguished road
City: online
State: online
Diagnosed: 01/2010
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
dianan is on a distinguished road
Default Funds for home modification

Hello.
My mom suffers from ALS and is almost completely paralyzed because of this horrible disease. My aunt volunteered to take her in because of how terrible my dad was treating her. He is abusive and an alcoholic. She expected her to live just a few months, but since my mom has lived longer than expected, she no longer wants to take care of her. I've talked it over with my husband and he said he's willing to quit his job to help take care of her, IF we had the room. We hardly have room for our four kids at home. We had been planning on adding on a garage with a room above it, but have never had enough money to get it done. If we could do that, we would have enough room for my mom. Is there a funding program or some way to get the funds to put the addition on our home? My mom cried and cried when my aunt offered to put her in a nursing home. And I certainly do not want my mom going back to my dad. He's already started drinking heavily again when he found out she was coming back. I think we have until March before my aunt takes her to my dad's.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:53 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Chester
State: VA
Diagnosed: 04/2008
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
ltbeauti is on a distinguished road
City: Chester
State: VA
Diagnosed: 04/2008
ltbeauti is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Funds for home modification

contact the local ALS chapter in your area and get her registered. they usually know of a lot of grants and stuff that can help with modifications.

they also have loan closets where they will loan her equipment free.
In Your Community - The ALS Association
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM #3 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Colorado
State: CO
Diagnosed: 10/2010
Ms. Pie is on a distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
City: Colorado
State: CO
Diagnosed: 10/2010
Ms. Pie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Funds for home modification

I'm so sorry for your problems. Your poor Mom! IT Beauty is right. Contact your local ALS Association. They can at least point you in the right direction. Also loan you equipment for as long as you need. Good luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
als, back, dad, kids, money, nursing home, paralyzed, planning