Diagnosis
02/2013
Country
US
State
WI
City
Eau Claire
I had my EMG on the 28th of September 2012. How much does stress and anxiety play into things? Well, the neurologist that was performing the needle pokes kept asking me if I have been dropping things, difficulty using keys, and a few other ambiguous questions. My answer then was no and today it would still be no. He also asked about twitches and or cramping to which I told him about my hands.

Now I think of myself as a pretty rational/logical person....but for the next month I had twitching everywhere including, scalp, neck, chest, both legs and both arms. My left arm was the biggest culprit, twitching almost non stop at bedtime. I even watched my calf and arm muscles rolling around while at rest.

So for the most part I placed these "symptoms" into the category of anxiety....however....

Prior and since the EMG, my left hand (my right hand too but much less often) would spasm or cramp with my fingers/thumb turning inwards and my forearm in immediate and intense pain. This would most often happen after gripping and lifting something heavy, but sometimes just grabbing something might cause it. I have to grab my fingers or thumb and move them back into normal position and the spasm or cramp would instantly disappear.

Now just for familial histories sake, my Mother has had these types of cramps, or spasms, in both hands for decades and she is 84. Whether or not that matters is immaterial...but I think it may mean something.

I have also had cramps in my rib cage, neck, abdomen, and probably others, but those are the most common. The rib cage and abdomen cramps occur if I bend over to long, the neck ones happen sometimes after a yawn.

Anyway, without rambling on and on....Are any of these symptoms something to be concerned about?
Yes I will be bringing them up at my next neuro appointment, but I like to get feedback from others. I have learned more on here, so far, than from any other source. And being equipped with more knowledge is always better than less, or worse none at all!

Thank all!

I didn't want to be redundant on here but in case no one looked.... my EMG was inconclusive. All 3 of my clinical exams have been within normal/average range. My speech however continues to spiral down the drain. I can still be understood, but usually only after repeating and using some hand signals or object recognition.

My tongue has limited mobility which causes eating to be somewhat difficult. I have been able to maintain my weight...that is after losing 10 lbs last August/September and I wasn't sure why....but I gained it back plus a couple for good measure. One thing, I am overweight with a BMI of 32.5....not sure what my ideal is, nor do I care at this time. I have read that being in that range is good if you have ALS. So I guess in that regards, I'm prepared!

Swallowing is sometimes an issue, but only water. Coffee, tea, cola, and the like are okay, but sometimes water goes down wrong...but not too often.

I have another neurologist appointment the 28th of this month!

Oops....I meant for this thread to be in the PLS support group. Is there a way it can be moved or should I just re post on there?

Sorry!

Genes are powerful things. You may have your Mother's propensity for twitches. I do not know yet whether you have ALS. I would think not.
Please go by what the physicians say and not self diagnose.

I have no idea if it's ALS or not....however, there is no doubt I have Bulbar symptoms...whether PLS, ALS, pseudobulbar, progressive bulbar, or some other MND.
That is unless I have MG or MS that did not show up on standard tests.
Either way, I have my next neurologist appointment tomorrow. If he has no answers, and probably even if he does, I am asking for a referral to Mayo in Rochester, MN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back