Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
SK
State
Slovakia
City
Bratislava
What to do with a ball of sputum/blenna in the throat when swallowing is problem? Just a little amount of sputum which my husband can't swallow are joined to a ball and then it stays in his throat. His ALS onset is from 04/2011 and he has swallowing problems for about 3 months. We are going to peg surgery on 31st January. He doesn't use a Bipap yet and we have no suction device. He takes antibiotics Z Max weekly as prevention for pneumonia.

Thank you for any advice.

My husband used mucinex and salbutamol through a nebulizer. The medication forms a mist which is inhaled through a mask attached to the nebulizer. It helped so much to thin mucus. When he started needing it, we used it three or four times a day. It doesn't take long. Hope this helps. Yasmin.

Thank you very much. We try it for sure.

My husband uses dental swabs several times a day for build of saliva. Not using suction machine yet. I am on a G Tube but he saliva still fills my mouth up and is uncomfortable. It must be cleaned out so you don't choke on it.

LNKa, A few low technology suggestions. Saline nose spray might help thin the mucus or sputum in the short term. If your husband is reclined and having trouble a more upright position might allow gravity help. Staying well hydrated always helps but reckon that might be getting hard to do pre PEG. When he gets the PEG they should give you large plastic blunt tipped syringes to feed with, try using a spare empty one as a manual "suction" device. All the best for the surgery on the 31st.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back