Diagnosis
07/2012
Country
US
State
CT
City
Norwich
Just trying to come to grips of what is happening to him. He is only 33 and we had just started a relationship when he was diagnosed. Once diagnosed he went back home to AL and I have not seen him since but talk or I should say text him often. He is already in the late stages and likely will not make it till Christmas. He wants me to remember him how he was. Anyway my last conversation with him likely was earlier tonight. I'm just devastated it so unfair... He is truly one of the best people I've ever known and well my heart is breaking.

I'm sorry for your sorrow. You'll be all right after awhile. You said that you had just started a relationship with him? He's said goodbye and has basically absolved you of being heartbroken if you choose. He is a gentleman in that he doesn't want you to be hurt. Do him the honor of not hurting for long. He sounds like a great guy. That said, people typically live for a few years after diagnosis. Try not to take this on yourself and live good and healthy life.

LD-

So sorry about your friend's devastatingly fast decline. It's great that you have been there to support him, even from a distance. I am certain he knows how much he means to you.

I recall a post recently from someone in a similar circumstance and who wrote about regretting not having gone to see his/her friend. While it may be your PALS explicit wishes to have no visitors, I wonder if he would agree to see you if you told him you are coming, instead of asking if you may go. Do not be surprised if you get a positive reply. If not, then obviously you will respect his wishes. It would be a shame, I think, if you missed an opportunity and then always wonder and have regret.

Every relationship, be it old or new or long or short, is equally vital to our human experience.

Wishing you strength.

Elaine always has the most amazing words of comfort and wisdom so...I'll simply echo hers! That being said, please know that we all feel your pain and despair on one level or another. Prayers for comfort and peace being sent your way. Take care!

Ruth

I think she should go see him if at all possible. I am so sorry to hear of your pain. You have helped him more then you'll ever know just caring about him. Kim

Well don't worry every thing gonna be all right, you should try keep your self happy.

Thank you all...so nice of you all to respond. I am certain that he does not want we to see him how he is now...and has thanked me for honoring that. I really hate it but I can't go against his wishes. We have said everything we have needed to say to each other. His family knows about me and when the inevitable happens they will call until then I text him everyday because I just can't imagine not being able to talk to him again. Anyway I really do appreciate everyone's input. There are good days and bad and he is still here so I'm blessed to have him even one more day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back