12/2012
Country
US
State
IL
City
Central IL
Hello, everyone!

My mom has her appointment for a 2nd opinion at Washington University on Dec. 28. Her assigned Dr is Joseph Black. His specialties listed are Adult Neurology and Neuromuscular Disease. Other doctors in the neurology department have ALS listed as their specialty. What does this mean? Do they not think my mom has ALS (her records have already been faxed and reviewed)? Why wouldn't they send her to someone that lists that as a specialty?

Thank you!

Amanda, ALS is a neuromuscular disease so that is in his wheelhouse. He probably works closely with everyone in the group. Since she is going for a 2nd opinion, you just need someone who will consider all the appropriate possibilities and that doesn't have to be someone who focuses on ALS. The way the listings are done, physicians or their assistants fill out a form, it's often not something they spend a lot of time on, and it's not necessarily reflective of real differences in what they know or whom they can treat.

That said, you'll be in the right place to ask for a "third opinion" -- someone else in the department to review the case -- if you don't think Dr. Black is firing on all cylinders. In many academic neuro depts, they do that anyway.

Best wishes for the 28th.

--Laurie

Write down the questions you want to ask so when you are there you can ask and get a feel for the doctor based on his responses. If you or your mom don't feel comforatable with his answers then you can request another opinion. It is very important you and your mom are comfortable with your doctor and communicate easily and he should explain in terms you can understand. He should not become exsaperated at your questions. Each time I have visited my dr at wash. u. I am in there about 1 hour or so, he answers my questions easily and listens which i feel is very important. He has never brushed me off or looked at me like I had grown 2 heads. Trust your gut feeling. Good luck and have a great holiday.

Thank you both for your responses! I always feel reassured on this forum. I'm so lucky I found it (and YOU!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back