Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
NC
City
Fuquay Varina
Ok.. we need some clarification from vets who have used the VA for the van grant and adaptive equipment. My parents have completed and received the approved application for the vehicle grant and adaptive equipment. They are wanting to purchase a used van and then have the modifications completed. It looks like on VA form 21-4502 that you provide the form to the seller of the van and the one that will do the modifications. However, they are not wanting to purchase the van from a dealer, but a private party.

Can someone please explain what the process is to buy a used van and THEN have it modified from a mobility dealer?

Thank you.
These forms are so confusing and trying to get someone on the phone to explain this has proved to be all but impossible.

Allison

Called the VA directly and received the answers we needed :) My Mom was rather confused and just getting the 'run around' and wasn't really sure on how to handle this.

It will take forever if you do it that way. You want a van already modified. It takes several months to do it, and it is only done in a few places. Also, the Van needs to the exact kind thay can be midifief. They will give you $18,000 towards the cost of the VAN beforr it is modifid, and then pay all the cost of the modifucation which is usually about $30,000. Call a mobility dealer, and they will jump through hoops to help you, as they want the commision on the $50,000 vehicle. The Van can be used, but the conversion must be brand new. So yoy can get a nice used Honda Odyssey with a blue book value of $18,000, and the VA pays for the modification. We had no dealer in our town, but they drove 300 miled to show us a Van, and bought it back to measure it for the chair, then delivered it finished
To us. Once you have the 4502, you should have your van in lesd than a month. Do not call the VA, call a Mobility Van dealership, they know how to do it, and do it fast.

Last edited:
Good info, Sadiemae. I will file this away for use when my time arrives.

Sadiemae...

Thank you for the insight. I will pass the information along.

If your parents are in your area go to Stalls. They took care of everything for my husband's van. It takes about a month or so to get it all squared away. Stalls will file the paperwork for them, they will take the van to the VA OT dept to get the modifications approved, and they have used, as well as, new vans. We ended up with the Honda Odyssey and have not regretted it at all. Stalls is in Cary and Bonnie is the one who navigated the waters for us.

Mary,

Thanks so much! I looked up Stalls and will provide the information to Mom and Dad. Glad to hear that they worked out well for you :)

Allison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back