Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
SMALL TOWN IN
My dad just got home last night after a 12 hour car ride. He got sick shortly after getting home with diarhea and vomitting. He still had it the last I spoke to his caretaker at 1pm. Was wondering how long I should wait before calling the doctor. My dad's progression with the ALS is kind of the middle of the road right now. He uses a bi-pap at night only. He gained 71bs in the last few weeks. Is still able to eat on his own and has a good appetite. He only has the use of a few fingers on each hand and his arms are getting weaker. He uses a walker and has someone walk behind him at all times holding his gait belt. His speech is usually fairly good except when he's tired. I don't want to panic but I really don't know when to overly be concerned or not. Thanks for any replies. Kim

If he starts to get dehydrated, I would call the doctor.

Diarrhea is serious because of dehydration. I'd call his doc asap.

Skipper, did your Dad gain 71 lbs in a short period of time? I'd be concerned about that as well...

Hi

It's not normal for anyone to gain that much weight in such a short time frame, first of all. I'd be concerned about that--water gain, perhaps? Which would not be good.

Also, with both vomiting and diarrhea, there is always the risk of dehydration. I'd call the doc for sure

I think Kim meant seven poundd, reread her post she typed 7 1bs not 71 lbs

Yes, just 7 is all he gained. We did call the doctor and he will see him this week. He is doing better and he quit getting sick shortly after I posted. He is eating and taking in fluids so I think he is staying hydrated. Thanks for all the responses we are keeping a close eye on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back