Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Miami
Hi all....i want to thank everyone for all the good advice ive gotten here....really sometimes i feel theres no one out there really knowing how devastating this disease is, except you guys...thank heaven for this forum ! i bough my mom the suction machine and it does nothing...its on the most powerful way and nothing happens...anyways its not a fun thing to stick that big stick down her throat either, she starts gagging and that scares the heck out of me, so thats 400.00 bucks down the drain, i have been reading on here about the cough assist machine and i think it will work but i spoke to her pulmonologist and he says no that wouldnt help...go figure, sometimes i think i know more about ALS than the dr's...anyways, even if he doesnt prescribe it to her does anybody know where i can get one (thats not that expensive)...she has had phlem in her throught for like 2 weeks now, and its driving me crazy to see her like this.
HELP !:?:

Check with your area ALS Association. They typically have a loaner closet with things like that they can loan you for as long as you need it. Or contact ALS Guardian Angels who can make things happen for you. Good luck Dear!

I responded but it went to moderation. Contact your local ALS Association or ALS Guardian Angels. They both can help you out. Good luck!

Hi

You poor thing. You're really trying. If the pulmonologist says a cough assist wont help, I have to ask if he's al all familiar with ALS.

Contact jer ALS neuro and have him order one, and as Ms Pie suggested, see if the loaner closets at the ALS association has ome, or even Stu at ALS guardian angels.

I had a cough vest, not sure if that would help, but that helped to loosen things in my lungs, too.

Suction will only really work for things pretty high, and if it's causing gagging, you run the risk of aspiration. It'll co,e in handy later, but Medicare should have covered the cost for it.

Others will come along with better information, I'm sure.

thanks for all your replies, i contacted the loaner closet and nothing, but the ALS Guardian Angels are great i spoke to Lisa and she is a doll...they have one, but she said the best bet would be to talk again to the pulmonoligist and emphasize the fact my mom needs one as well as a jacket of some sort...anyways, i called the pulmonologist again, lets see where this takes us....ugghh!

The cough assist does two things for me.

1. Helps me cough up phelm. Especially great when I have a cold. I have such a whimpy cough, LOL.
2. Keeps my lower lungs expanded and my breath function as good as I can get it. Force an inhale setting of 40 10 times a day to exercise the lungs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back