Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Phoenix
My husband has not been diagnosised and he is having a spinal tap.. I think it is a waste of time.. one neurologist said it was unlikely it would show anything second
one wants him to have one.. Does anyone know if it is worth it.. ? Thank you He is scheduled next month.. he has bad foot drop for a year or more..

As tests go, they aren't too expensive, don't keep you out of work long, they help rule out MS (and are the first line of testing on early PPMS). I think it's worth it for the peace of mind. Do mind the instructions to avoid "THE headache" though, they really work.

You found the links to older threads at the bottom of the page?

Becky is spot on! Lie down, take it easy, drink lots of water.

It wasn't as bad as I had expected.

Thank you for your reply.. dont know what HSP PLS is.. but Thank you... My husband has had foot drop for about 2 years. I signed him and i am hoping he will use this site..

Thank you DEb.. have not looked at all of the forum.. but i will My htought was that a spinal is a waste of time.. however, i
am not the one making the decision.. its my husbands decision.

Does he have AFOs for the affected leg? Use a rollator?

They are very helpful.

Falls are so dangerous!

It's used to rule out other causes. Has he had an EMG and MRIs of his spine? We're results normal?

PLS is primary lateral sclerosis. It affects Upper motor neurons only, not LMN. ALS affects both.

Like the others said, as the MRI, a spinal tap is sometimes ordered to rule things out. There are also infections that can cause leg issues that can be spotted.

They are not generally an overly dangerous procedure of the doctor is experienced in them, and the pt. doesn't do silly things like tey to get up and walk.

Ultimately, your hubby can ask the doctor to explain why he wants the test.

As said, has a brace been ordered for the foot drop to help prevent falls? Good luck, and you can start an acct too, if you wish. We will answer any questions we can.

I think the spinal tap is worth going for. It helped nail down my husband's disease which is CIDP--MADSAM. His spinal fluid had elevated protein. The tap caused him no pain and he behaved and stayed flat for the required period after and drank lots of water. Very important to follow after care directions! I had one done years ago and went out for lunch after and had the most awful incapacitating headache for 4 days after--could not get out of bed or move my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back