Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
Saw this today on MSN. Hope it posts ok!

MSN Video

Amazing wheelchair! Thanks for posting...

That is amazing!

Wow that was amazing......it could really allow alot more freedom for anyone who is wheel chair bound.
Thanks for posting!

<My husband was drooling over it! hopefully they will make the seating more comfortable...

It is intriguing but the prototype needs a lot of refinement, to my mind, before it will be advantageous. It is more of a scooter than chair and looks too wide to be practical inside or even for getting through many doors. The video claims it climbs steps but the only demonstration shown was climbing a single small step.

A far more advanced chair, the IBOT, invented by Dean Kamen (who later used the same gyroscopic principles to invent the the Segway) was light years ahead of this chair. It raised the user to eye-level, would drive through sand, climb curbs and stairs and spin in its own length. Kamen sold the rights of it to Johnson and Johnson who spent many years bringing the chair to market, sold it for the same price as the Japanese chair and ultimately discontinued its manufacture and service. It is no longer sold. I had great hopes of it one day being sold in Canada but it never was.

Here's a link to a video advertising the amazing IBOT.
iBot Robotic Wheelchair Commercial - YouTube

so cool. so is that ibot. I wonder why they dont make them anymore. The need to traverse curbs and uneven surfaces is something that I think paitients would like.
Don't they make a wheelchair where the user can stand up now ? it doesn't do curbs though i dont think.

Ltbeauti, I recall that one. I think upper body and hand/arm strength are needed for that one.

My husband has the standing chair by Redman--it does not require any upper body strength but if youstand you would have to be able to hold your weight somewhat. He really likes that feature and it makes transfers much easier. He is still able to stand somewhat with assistance. Medicare would not buy the chair so we got it on eBay for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Thanks for posting that was so cool!
The speed at which the Japanese developed technological products it could be ready by the time my legs give out. Thanks for giving me hope.
Holly

Barbie, the Redmond chair looks awesome! I was thinking of another chair video that was posted awhile ago, but couldn't find it again when I searched. It didn't seem to have any support for the upper back.

VERY COOL! Thanks for posting.

Deb-- the REdmon has great features, but does not give the kind of support that many ALS patients need (and it looks a bit old-fashioned too). Never the less, my husband loves it because of the standing feature. he has modified it somewhat so he says he is comfortable in it.

Un fortunately, the Redmon company gives terrible service...so you have to be a do it your selfer with problems.

Barbie, I justed viewed some videos of the Redman standing chair and it does look the best thing since the iBot. The standing feature is particularly exciting to me. I still use scooters but the ability to stand and do things and talk to people at I level looks great. How does your husband find the 'off road' features of the chair that Redman also promote? Is he able to travel on rough trails and through sandy areas that their ads suggest?

Last edited:
Ours is a 2007 model since we bought it used. It definitely gets stuckk in the sand and loose ground. It has really big wheels, but he has to be pushed if he goes in the yard. I don't know if ours has the feature you describe John. With your slow progression, it might be a great chair for you. There is a picture in my album in my profile of him standing in it next to my son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back