Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
US
State
CO
City
Thornton
I am researching the possibility of adding hospice to my pals care. I am told by the agencies that he can go off hospice anytime we want to for any reason. I am concerned about the hassles it could cause with switching out equipment or delays in care.

Is there anyone that has been on hospice and been taken off or chose to go off hospice for some reason? What have you experienced?

Struggling to make the right decision, Kris :confused:

Under medicare hospice is divided into certification periods to a point of unlimited periods. If you elect to come off of hospice you would forfiet the remainder of that benefit period. You can re-certify for a new period and then continue again. It is not difficult, you would need to change out equipment when you go to a new provider. Hospice is required to furnish all things including medications related to a terminal diagnosed. Medicaid is a little more relaxed with out benefit certification periods. Private insurance is dependent on policy restrictions. Private insurance has been leaning more and more to the medicare system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back