Country
SK
State
Slovakia
City
SNV
From my mail to Mr. Duman

"
This is an interesting idea and would be worth investigating further. Unfortunately we do not have the capability to do research on ALS, but it is possible that others that do will pick up on this and examine.
Thanks,
Ron Duman
On 10/10/12 1:17 AM, Slavomir Fabian wrote:
> Dear Mr. Duman,,
> I have found an article in Science magazine about Synaptic Dysfunction
> in Depression: Potential Therapeutic Targets.
>
> I should like to ask you, if you try to do some research with ALS MND
> disease and Ketamine.
>
> I am not an expert (my father has ALS MND disease).
> I only think, Ketamine could also help witd ALS MND, because of
> simillar problem - decreased synaptic connections.
> What is your oppinion?
>
>
> Best Regards
>
> Slavomir Fabian
"

I was surprised to read they'd found it can help with depression, but don't see how it could help with destroyed nerves as happens with ALS. Couldn't open your article.

ALS isn't decreased connected riots, so much as destroyed nerve connections to muscles. Not sure they can really treat it til they can find a cause for it. Ketamine is also highly addictive, causes hallucinations and other issues. Not exactly safe.

Hi,
source:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/338/6103/67.full.pdf

"Duman and Aghajanian (p. 68) review evidence from basic and clinical studies that stress and depression cause neuronal atrophy and decreased synaptic connections in cortical and limbic brain regions. Antidepressants can block or reverse these neuronal deficits, although typical antidepressants have limited efficacy; however, novel rapidly acting antidepressants produce a fast induction of synaptogenesis and quickly reverse synaptic deficits caused by chronic stress. Together, these findings support a synaptogenic hypothesis of depression and treatment response."

source:
Ketamine may rapidly treat depression, scientists say - CBS News

"According to the researchers behind the new study, the improvement in a patient may be evident within hours but the effects last only a week to 10 days."

"Through their research, Duman has his colleagues found ketamine triggers the release of the neurotransmitter glutamate in the brain, which in turn stimulates the growth of synapses. Synapses are the spaces between nerve cells (neurons) by which information is able to flow from one cell to another. The study found that damages to these synaptic connections between neurons can be caused by chronic stress, but with a single dose of ketamine, the damage can be rapidly reversed."

I think, it is very similar to ALS MND problems.

I have send a message to ALS MND research centre USA and Australia, but at present, I have no reply.

Slavomir

Have you checked ALS Untangled to see if they've investigated this idea?

Thank you form contact.
I have sent it yet.

Slavomir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back