09/2012
Country
EU
State
NY
City
Other
Hi,

I am new here. My mom is in the process of diagnostics. But I am sure she has ALS. She had MRI of head and neck and many diseases were ruled out. She will have EMG in two weeks. She has obvious symtoms and I am devastated. I won't tell how much I feel for my mom, but my question is about heredity.
As much as I know in our family history there was't anyone who had ALS. But our family history is not complete. My mom's father died young from an accident. Her mother (my grandmother) had dementia. Also 3 more of her siblings had it too. I dont know what kind of dementia it was, we think its Alzheimer's, because noone had developed any walking or speaking problems. My mother doesn't have any brothers or sisters. We don't know what diseases did mothers grandparents have. So I am confused and anxious. Is it sporadic or familial. I understand its impossible to know cause of incomplete family history. Even if its sporadic, maybe my mother is the first who developed the bad gene? I read many forums and many people who developed ALS had a parent with it.. I am so scared. I just planned to have a baby. I am double scared cause what my mother will be going through. But in the future I think I will always have this black thoughts in me about my future and possibility to develop a disease. I inherited much from my mother - her temper, her look and some of her diseases I have already... So scared. How you, children of parents who had ALS, cope?

Do not panic, the classic - sporadic ALS is not hereditary not contagious ............... !
Be calm and planned your baby.

By the way women from Russia are diagnosed with ALS gave birth to a a healthy boy (3.4 kg/52cm).

It is a feat of the year.

Good luck

Nikola

With none of their parents having ALS, or siblings, your chances are pretty good that it is sporadic. Only 10% is genetic, so relax on that front. It's not connected to dementia, at least not in the way you are thinking,

If an EMG not even being done yet, there is still a chance she does not have ALS.lots of things to be ruled out, first. What symptoms does she have that convinced you of ALS.? Or did a doctor mention it? There are a lot of things that mimic some of the symptoms, and many are treatable.

Hugs

Hi nikolab,

I think its pretty normal that a woman with ALS gave birth to a healthy child. Babies don't get ALS, adults do. I hope my panic will pass, I must be strong for mom.. But at the moment all I think is this disease:(
I read many situations when poeple get ALS out of nowhere and later their children get it.. I understand I can't control that and what will be will be.. But I can't accept that still..

About 90 % of ALS cases are sporadic. Please don't let this fear rule your life.

IF IF she is diagnosed--they can test for familial or sporadic. only 10% are familial. Tell your mom your concerns and ask her to ask for the test IF she is diagnosed. that will put your mind at ease for future grandkids.

90% of cases are sporadic--try not to add extra worry to her or yourself right now.

Thank you for your responses so much..
As I know, there is no test to confirm if ALS is genetic or sporadic, unless they find SOD gene. I doubt if they do this test in my small country.. But this test wouldn't help much I guess.. That's the worst...
Do you know any families that had only one person with ALS in the past and noone got the disease years later?

MOST people with als are the only ones in their family with it.

vzandt, do you mean at the moment? I mean if somebody has grandparents or parents those died from ALS long ago and later nobody developed the disease in family. Why do specific people get ALS, it should be genetic predisposition.. that scares me.
Maybe I sound paranoid, but I am still in shock.

They don't know why 90% of the people who get als get it. that's one of the reasons they haven't found a cure. They haven't found the WHY.

Yes, I know...:( Thank you..
I am just very scared.

The answer to your question is NO!

Where do you live, Serbia is a small country and we have genetic testing als!

I'm sorry your mother, but know this there is a living and after diagnosis!

Relax do not panic !

Nikola

I live in Lithuania. But genetic testing don't show many genes, just one? Or am I wrong?

I am so sorry that you are so worried. I was a little concerned myself when my father was diagnosed as well. But, his doctor said his is not hereditary and that most cases aren't. You have to just enjoy your life while you can at the moment. My mom died of colon cancer and also had breast cancer. We have a strong history of cancer in the family. But, I don't worry and just get my annual mammograms and a colonoscopy every so many years. You have enough to worry about with your mother and what is going on with her. Please live for the moment. Go do something special for yourself. Sending you a big hug for courage. Kim

Thank you so much, Kim. Maybe time will make all in places..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back