Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
Ca
City
San rafael
My husband was diagnosed with limb onset als last July 2011. He can barely stand now. How can I get him from bet to toilet and wheelchair?

We have no family and have just moved to a new community, so I feel very alone. My daughter committed suicide 4 years ago, and I have barely recovered from that pain, only to be faced with als. Please help.

Oh my! I am so sorry! Welcome to this forum! First, call 8002090433 to get the ALS Association in San Rafael to get you some equipment and support... They will be able to help you get set up with clinics, find groups as well as link you to agencies in the area. We will be able to answer questions and give moral support!

Jen

Jomaine, so sorry about your hubby's diagnosis, and the loss of your daughter. I hope that you've signed up with the MDA and ALSA, and are receiving OT and PT services to get the items you need. If you haven't please call them and talk to a social worker to get some local help.

Regarding the transfers, I think most people would recommend a hoyer lift or a ceiling lift... I'm not sure how far along he is, but could he use a transfer board from a wheelchair to a drop side commode, and to and from bed. He has to have enough core strength to sit, and arm strength.

Check into some of the older threads here and you'll get some amazing info about vitually anything you can think of.

Welcome to the forum...

Welcome to the forums. I'm so sorry you are feeling alone in your new community and for the loss of your daughter.

Contact your ALS Clinic or Neuro and let them know about your needs. My Neuro ordered an in-home evaluation from a local PT and OT. they taught my CALS to use the gait belt and transfer board as well as the Electric lift that we have standing by. They can look around and make suggestions that will help you two stay safe. We also learned to do appropriate ROM exercises. My OT provided me with a wrist brace to give added support so that I can continue to use my right hand as the muscles continue to weaken. Their guidance is invaluable. They gave us tips for equipment placement and techniques for making transfers safer.

Contact the MDA and ALSA for your area. They both publish excellent Caregiver Guides that explain the various pieces of equipment that a PALS might use. I think it's also available on line. You can find all types of videos on you tube that demonstrate every thing from oral care to transfers with a board or lift.

Our archives are full of useful information. Don't hesitate to ask for help.

Good luck

Jomaine, I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter--I can only imagine how painful that is. I am glad you have come here to this forum for help with your husband, you will find much support here. call the ALS assoc for help right away. They may have a loaner closet or be able to connect you with assistance and advise in your area. Transfering is always tough and many use hoyers once the pals can not stand any longer.

I'm very sorry, welcome to the gang.

Are you guys doing ok right now, and asking about the future? Or are you having trouble getting him into bed/bathroom now, and need more immediate advice? If it's the latter, how much arm strength does he have? What kind of wheelchair does he use?

There are some excellent videos on YouTube that show how to do a safe transfer if he can bear weight and has some arm use at this point.

I would strongly suggest a transfer board and gait belt, both of which can be found on eBay or Amazon if insurance is an issue, relatively I expensively.

I'm so sorry for your loss and his diagnosis.

The ALSA will assist with many pieces of equipment, too, with loaner closers.

I don't know if he's a veteran, but therenismassistance there as well. I'm assuming he's applied for disability already?

But if, as Becky said, transferring is an immidete concern, YouTube would be a first.place to see. In manual wheelchairs, the arms can be removed.

Please feel welcome here and know we will help however we can...even just someone to talk to when you're feeling overwhelmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back