Diagnosis
10/2011
Country
US
State
Ca
City
San Ramon
Hi there! It has been recommended that my husband begin to perform certain strengthening exercises to help him strengthen his hips and legs to prevent some falls. I've had the understanding that stretching exercises can be good but that strengthening exercises can contribute to further decline of the muscles.

Anyone?

Thanks for your help!

Im certainly not the expert on the forum, but I learn more each day. If it is ALS, no exercise is going to strengthen the muscle to prevent falls. I wish that were so.
The muscles hopefully can stay limber to help prevent cramping but no strengthening is possible. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Physical therapy helps, but exercising is not going to help. Hang in there. Pam

I believe the same as Pam. Stretching yes. It helps with cramps and stiffness. That's what we were told.

Certainly no ALS neurologist or ALS-specializing physical therapist would suggest strengthening exercises. That's just silly.
Stretching is also not correct.

The strength of the muscle does NOT correlate to how long they last. The nerves will de-enervate the muscle regardless of exercise. A super-strong muscle without an operational nerve is exactly as paralyzed as a weak muscle without a nerve.

However, RANGE of motion "exercises" performed by a trained PT or trained caregiver, will help reduce the pain of joint immobility after the muscles have become weakened or even paralyzed.

Our pt guy at the als clinic gave my husband stretching excerises to do using a towel. Said don't jerk ...just slightly stretch. It help his stiffness.

I think range of motion is best to help prevent stiffness and achiness and to all

I did post a link, but of course it went to moderation. Check it out, it's very interesting reading about the possible benefits of excersise in ALS.

It's called Excersise: stretching the limits of ALS care.....it's on the ALSTDI site.
I had read in a 2009 neurology journal, that they were going to look into the benefits of excersise in slowing progression. The journal was a bit out dated, but looking at the date of the most recent clinical study (2009), the study was done and completed.

Aly

Thank you, all. My husband just entered Hospice, and they are truly wonderful, caring people. It's just become clear to me that they have very little experience with ALS, let alone ALS/FTD. I'll take what I can, but think critically about all the care prescribed. While I'm happy that they haven't had many others on this path, it certainly leaves me out in the cold.

Thanks, again!

Cubcake,

So sorry for what you are facing. Monumental challenge.

Just a thought - do you think an experienced ALS Society volunteer could attend at the hospice and give a talk relating to your husband's specific needs? Also, this person would likely be able to advocate on your behalf and bring you in from the cold.

Praying for you. Praying for all of us on this Sunday morning.

I had a long message typed out but for whatever reason I lost some of it. The jist was what others have stated. Range of motion that a physio who is familiar with ALS can show you or a different caregiver how to do. Create a program that will suit your husband's needs and that can be altered as needed. Expending energy where it is not helpful is not recommended. ROM proved unbelievably useful to Bob. It kept him relatively agile and loosened up his joints. Take care. Yasmin.

cubcake, check out some of the older threads about exercise. There are a few links at the bottom of the page.
You can also try a search here on the forums for "exercise".

There is a new Clinical Trial either underway or about to begin to try to find out more about this issue.

My Neuro and PT(PhD) who has experience with ALS both say that ROM is effective for keeping the joints mobile. This will help increase flexibility and prevent conctractures. It certainly promotes comfort for me. I rest better at night. I need to take medication if I miss a few days.

My Neuro says to avoid anything with heavy weights and a lot of repetitions. We don't have the ability to repair muscles that are damaged from overuse. Before diagnosis I had some PT from a PT who wasn't familiar with ALS. My regimen included "strength building" exercises with weights for my R leg which was affected by foot drop. At the end of each session I had "rubbery" legs and had to spend most of the next two days on the sofa to recover. The workouts were not very intense and for a short time period but of course they did not increase my strength. Some have said to try to build up muscles that aren't yet affected by ALS, but my feeling is that we can never be sure which groups are affected until we already have weakness there. My very first EMG showed signs of a problem in my Left arm and its only a year later that I'm developing weakness there.

Check out the NEALS website for more info on the current Trial.

I think Elaine had a very good idea.

Best of luck to you.

I like elaines idea to..

I'd run that by Dr North (even in an e-mail) I know I had issues with a few OT's at Kaiser that were big on strengthening exercises. Stopped going to them. Lasted longer with the PT who mostly worked on stretching and range of motion.

Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate your responses. We have a clinic appointment in mid October so I'll see if anyone can attend one of our Hospice sessions with us. That's a brillient idea. And Katie, in my panic, I totally didn't think about checking in with Dr. North! Sheesh and duh! I'll email him today.

Thank you, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back