Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
Oregon
City
Medford
I am in the process of being diagnosed with whatever it is I have! I thought MS, nothing points that way at this point (after many tests), MG was next, just had the official "it's not MG" today. (single fiber EMG).

I am curious as to ALS.... with it, how are you diagnosed?! Does everything else come back normal? Or is there some sort of test(s) to confirm?

Thank you for any insight.

Why do you have two identical threads

Sorry. I am new here and just wasn't sure where to put it. Sorry.

No worries, it can take a while to figure out how it all works. Can I ask how old you are?

What has lead you to believe you are in the process of being diagnosed ALS?
What is particularly bothering you about the process?

I am in the process of being diagnosed with whatever I have, not necessarily ALS but it's a possibility. The latest thing ruled out was Myasthenia Gravis. I have been tested for MS as well.

I am 41. I am beginning to worry as to what I do have. Today I am supposed to be in church (Pastor's Wife and Sunday School teacher), but fell upon getting out of bed. My right leg feels just gone. No other way to describe it. :(

Hi, can you give a bit more detail with regards to your symptoms, history, tests etc. This helps people to understand your problem better and therefore give advice. Thanks.

The diagnosis of ALS is still set solely on the basis of progressive clinical picture and exclusion of other diseases that can cause similar or the same symptoms.

good luck!

Nikola

Check out the El Escorial Criteria for ALS Diagnosis.
As one of our members says in her tag line, "it can't be ALS until it can't be anything else"

Exactly the line I and others have said, it can only be ALS when it can't be anything else. The ruling out process can take a while. The one test that helps with diagnosis the most is the EMG as there are very specific rhinos looked for. Once the other causes of any abnormalities are exhausted, ALS is left.

It's rare, though. A spine injury can affect the leg or legs, for instance.

What have the doctors said at this point? We can tell you that a clean EMG and the absence of UMN changes on clinical exam, such as Babinski reflex, hyper reflexes, clonus and spasticity that ALS isn't the likely culprit.

Even if the EMG shows something, things like spine and nerve damage are ruled out.

Did you wake up one day with a dead leg that still won't work? If so, how long has it been like this?

What, if any, are your other symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back