Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Can anyone recommend what worked well for them? We are checking with the clinic but if anyone has advice it would be much appreciated!
Thank you in advance

I have two suggestions:

You can use plain old Windows Sound Recorder to save off wave files of anything you want to say.These can be used later on an AAC device.

Check out the threads on Modeltalker to generate a computer voice that sounds like your own to various extents. Start early on this as it can take a while to record all the phrases they want.

My best advice is to do in any way you can...don't put it off. We did and we regret it so much. My hubby's voice changes were significant and quick. I discovered an old voice mail recording a couple of weeks ago (the recording was from a year ago). I did not even recognize my husband's voice. I said, "Who is that?" My husband's eyes welled up and I realized it was his voice. How could I forget the voice of the man I have loved for 30 years? It hit all of us hard. It is the only recording we have of his somewhat normal voice from a year ago....but even then it wasn't like it always had been. Even if you only preserve the voice with Windows or an old fashioned cassette tape recorder, just do it.

At the very bottom of this page are several links that may be very beneficial for you.

I just finished with model talker. Recognizing that it is still in beta testing, it was still a frustrating experience. The program randomly shuts down after you have recorded only one two or three sentences. Then you have to go through about 10 steps to open it back up. Maybe it was just me, I don't know. But I'm glad just gotten through 1600 sentences and am now waiting for them to return the results to me. I started this back in June and just finished this week. I took a long time off because it was so frustrating. But I decided that it was something that really needed to be done, and when I got dedicated to it, it really only took about three weeks to finish. And I worked on it about 30 min. a day. I would suggest you take a look at it and see if you think it's for you. I did have to buy a different headset, Sennheiser, that cost about $150. Good luck with what you decide!

thank you all for the feedback.
You guys are the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back