Diagnosis
08/2007
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Dahlonega
Does anyone have a remedy for constant phlegm in the throat? I have tried everything my doctor has said to do, but nothing helps.
Lindaf

Hi linda-my husband also deals with this. We steer clear of dairy products because we find that is the biggest problem for my hubby. We have not had a lot of success with any drugs. I know some people here find a suction machine very helpful.

Thanks for your reply. I have tried the cough assist and the suction, but no help. I have tried mucinex, robitussin. Nothing helps.

Have you tried Atropine drops under the tongue? Or the patch behind the ear for motion sickness? The atropine drops worked somewhat for my husband, but the problem was never entirely eliminated. He took Artane in conjunction with the Atropine.

Welcome to the forum.

Ask the doctor about Robinul/glycopyrolate. It helps me tremendously.

Rog had Botox injections and wants them again...

Jen

I am there with you. I am suctioning several times a day.

My husband took amitriptyline before bed every night along with a mucinex, 2 benedryls and an Alka Seltzer Plus. He took a mucinex and Alka Seltzer Plus when he woke up and 2 bendryls around mid day. We only had to use the suction machine a few times a day.

Hi Linda

My husband finds a big difference between saliva and phlegm.

Drooling saliva is controlled with - glycopporonium, amitrip

Phlegm is controlled with carbocisteine syrup which lowers the viscosity and makes is more manageable. Plenty of fluids during the day help keep the mucus less sticky. And suctioning - constant suctioning - as far to the back of the throat as can be tollerated at regular intervals. A suction machine with an angled suction mouth catheter makes sweeping along the back of the tongue a lot easier.

I have a problem with thick phlegm and have to clear my throat.
Papaya juice has been shown to work but it was so expensive for the juice.
Now I drinks Motts Natural pressed apple juice. It is a dark juice with bits of pulp in it. Something in it really helps to thin the thickness and I don't get choked or have to clear my throat a lot anymore.
When I have a cold or extra phelm and it gets bad, I take papaya enzyme from GNC as directed on the bottle for maximum dosage.
I had a rented cough assist machine, but it never really seemed to help with the thick clog in my throat. I sent it back because these things work well for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will certainly try them. It is driving me crazy.

How much apple juice do you drink a day? So far it hasn't helped.

I have a lot of phlegm from post nasal drip. An awful lot. Glycopyrrolate works very well for me in eliminating about 90% of it.

I have a problem with thick phlegm and have to clear my throat.
Papaya juice has been shown to work but it was so expensive for the juice.
Now I drinks Motts Natural pressed apple juice. It is a dark juice with bits of pulp in it. Something in it really helps to thin the thickness and I don't get choked or have to clear my throat a lot anymore.
When I have a cold or extra phelm and it gets bad, I take papaya enzyme from GNC as directed on the bottle for maximum dosage.
I had a rented cough assist machine, but it never really seemed to help with the thick clog in my throat. I sent it back because these things work well for me.

Why did you have to rent the cough machine, medicare pays for the rental

I drink several glasses of the apple juice a day. Sometimes 3. But it has to be that dark bottle kind of Motts natural pressed. It looks terrible, but it seems to work for me. If you don't get enough fluid intake that can make salvia very thick too

And yeah, Medicare paid for the rental of the cough assist. I used the suction part mostly. It was like this big clog far down that would never come out. I got them to pick it up cause I had not used it in 6 months. The clinic said they would write me another script for it if I need it again. That was a year ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back