Not open for further replies.

MYWILLOW

Country
US
State
NH
City
HERE I AM
I have asked some general question here and there, not just in this site but other web groups, because of a health problem that started the summer of 2008. Without rehashing everything: I have axonal neuropathy, peripheral neuropathy, and lately some findings that suggest anterior horn damage. Basically I am showing Lower Motor Neuron damage with tremor and thalmic involvement. (According to symptoms and testing).
Recently I went to the dentist for an abcessed tooth, and he referred me to an oral surgeon to have it pulled. He didn't pull the tooth because when he reviewed my intake history he had questions. He said he didn't want to pull the tooth until he got more information about the Cobalt Therapy I received to the left side of my head. He told me that bone necrosis follwing irradiation can develop decades later. He didn't want to pull my tooth and leave a huge hole in my jaw.
Okay, that was news to me. I remember being told to watch out for rash on face, dry mouth, and told to avoid sun exposure. Not damage that may appear years later. So, like I always do I investigate. Radiation exposure can cause central nervous system and spinal cord damage, with symptoms showing up in a few months or as many as 30 years later.
In 1993 after 4 surgeries to remove a benign mix tumor and it's regrowth I had 5-6 weeks of cobalt therapy. The direction of the beam was from the angle of my left jaw to the back of head just left of center. That is where my hair fell out. Within a year I no longer produced wax in my left ear. By 1997 I developed field cuts in my vision. In 2008, 15 years later my nerve problem started. The cobalt could have clipped my brain stem and cervicle spinal cord.
I have taken a little heat for trying to figure this out, but you have to understand, everyone in my family suffers from very specific problems: on my mother's side of the family it is heart disease and diabetes; on my father's side of the family it is cancer. Absolutely no one had anything remotely involving nerve damage, unless they left their diabetes uncontrolled. And I do not have diabetes. And since the doc knew I wasn't diabetic or an alcoholic, what I had they thought might be hereditary. It made no sense.
For the past few weeks I have been slowly reading as much as I can about radiation damage. Mind you, the dentist told me about the radiation about two months ago, but it was through searching causes of neuropathy that I had my aha moment.
I had a brief "tag your it" with my current neurologist after I faxed him my last EMG/NCS to review. He left me a phone message and said to call him, and that it didn't make sense, the emg results. He also was just going away for two weeks, so now I have to wait again. When he gets back I hope he will discuss the possibility with me.
Also, I have read some of the older post here about radiation, in it were interesting comment about vets. So high incidents of ALS in Gulf War Vets, Vets , citizens of Guam (military base), an area of Japan (radio active fall out?) Seems that radiation is causing damage to the central nervous system, brain stem, and triggering a very bad reaction. One article said that perhaps the radiation can trigger a dormant virus to mutate.
Anybody else care to comment, I'd like to learn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back