Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
oh
City
grove city
I am new to this forum. My dad was recenlty diagnosed with ALS a few months ago. I believe he is in his 6 year battle with the disease. Any way, on July 4th, he fell and broke his neck (C1 unstable fracture). He will never walk again due to the risk of falling. Surgery is not an option as he would be vented for life. As an alternative, he will live the rest of his life in a neck collar. Dad is learning how to feed himself and slowly gains a little strength each and every day. His spirits are strong despite this cruel fate he has been dealt. Anyone have any similar stories of life with ALS and a broken neck? It's been very emotional for the family and we are looking for ways to support dad during this time.

I would get a second opinion on the surgery. Coming in from the front of the neck takes a qualified surgeon only about 45 minutes to secure the vertebrae. It may not work for other reasons. How far are you from Cleveland Clinic? Giood luck. When I was in my hard brace from my cervical fusion, I found Tegaderm kept my skin from breaking down on my chest, and an extra set of foam pads kept me from smelling like a farm animal.

Good luck to you and your family, and we are all here for you.

C1 fracture, he's lucky to be alive, to be blunt. Anything above c-4 is a critical fracture. I'm with the above poster, I'd get a second opinion on stabilizing surgery--or even a third. C-1 is very close to the brain stem :( likely why they are hesitant to repair.

Falls are such a huge risk for Pals :( I'm glad his spirits are good!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back