Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
FL
City
Orlando
USERname "David" is the owner with permission keys to delete threads or replies or ban users.

Last edited:
Back to your question. Yes the board is moderated. As time allows. You can look for this thread to be swept over in to the 'Off Topic' forum any day now. Any day now, that's the current level of moderation and that's not a problem unless ...

You're suffering with constipation and the solution is tied up in moderation. A day or two shouldn't be too much to wait, Eh? I know there are answers to the constipation problem here, I am simply using that as an example for the need of some answers sooner rather than later.

So maybe you're thinking that I can get health advice elsewhere and this forum is more of a social network. Fair enough, but what if someone hints about suicide? Is a day or two to get a hold of an administrator for an IP trace fair?

Joe

I think that is a profoundly unfair question. If you look at the history of this forum you would realise that we have lost very senior people in quick succession, and that David is being very careful in considering who might be appropriate as a moderator.

People from all over the world use this forum, and it simply isn't possible, even if it were desirable, to contact police forces around the world because you think someone has hinted that they may wish to commit suicide. You appear to be overlooking the fact that in most countries people are free to commit suicide if they so wish. People suffering from ALS/MND may make the rational decision to leave this life when they choose to do so; do you really believe that you know better than they do?

Grateful,
I certainly do not believe I know better than the rational decisions of another. I used the word hinted for hinting at suicide is generally seen as a cry for help. An unanswered cry for help can lead to irrational decisions.

I think you would have considerable difficulty in sustaining the argument that 'hinting at suicide' is generally acknowledged to be a 'cry for help', and even more difficulty in persuading the police that you are qualified to make such a statement.

There is also the fact that people are far less likely to speak frankly about end of life decisions if they think that someone may decide that they should call the police; part of the value of this forum is that people can speak openly and honestly about these hugely difficult questions to each other, and be supported in whatever decisions they may make. Once you take that away you undermine the whole raison d'être of the forum.

I am glad that David takes the task of appointing moderators seriously and is giving it measured consideration. A little short term irritation with trolls is infinitely preferable to destroying the safe haven which so many good people have given precious time and effort to build over the years...

Grateful,

Please don't read further. My intention is not to offend you and I reckon you will find this beyond comprehensible.

I started to type 3 times, got about 20 words down each time and just deleted them. I can't figure a way to come at it what would be helpful, positive, useful. Why bother any more? Why waste my time further? It's become a joke anyway. All that is left is a joke.

I appreciate ALL the effort David continues to put into this. It must be monumental. It's a thankless job and I think he is a hero to attempt to continue. But it's come off the rails and I am not aware of efforts being made to correct the issues. It's not a one man operation, it can't be done. It's not being done properly now.

This forum is not the safe, comfortable, ALS focused place it used to be. Long participating PALS, CALS who used to participate here have run for the hills. The image of a sinking ship with the rats jumping over board comes to mind.

That is what is profoundly unfair and beyond sad. Al, Richard and Allen too, among others I am sure, must be rolling in their graves.

Replacing the mod/admin's

I am glad that David takes the task of appointing moderators seriously and is giving it measured consideration. A little short term irritation with trolls is infinitely preferable to destroying the safe haven which so many good people have given precious time and effort to build over the years...

Ditto.

I also believe firmly that a board this active 24/7, with so many separate forums and threads, needs about a dozen moderators and several admins.

Atsugi

It's like a gigantic rambling mansion which needs a small army of people to keep it going; I am keeping my fingers crossed that some will turn up soon...

I don't feel like a rat leaving a sinking ship, and I believe the forum will be allright again. When I come to this forum 2 years ago, I made friends with so many, I grew to love them like family. So many of my friends passed within months of each other, and some within days, til my heart was so heavy with hurt, I could not even respond much anymore. This forum has been a lifeline for so many, there were and still are great people on here that need this forum and the friends here. Hopefully we will have some new moderators soon...

Yes. New moderators needed. And there have been some volunteers? D

Is anyone in contact with David? I would love an update on what he intends to do. Obviously we need new moderators, but I don't think the forum is a sinking ship--yet.

I still believe in this Forum and the good that it does everyday.

Write him. He gets his PMs pretty quick.

I volunteered, and he sent a response within 10 days stating that the " vetting" process requires him to meet with the new moderator in person. So Send a PM, It took 10 days for him to respond to me, so be patient.

Is anyone in contact with David? I would love an update on what he intends to do. Obviously we need new moderators, but I don't think the forum is a sinking ship--yet.

I still believe in this Forum and the good that it does everyday.

If you find out what he "intends to do" please..... share the secret.

David is busy. Give him time. He created this forum, and there is no reason to believe he won't do what it takes to keep it going. As Lori said, he needs to vet the person he would choose to moderate.

Those who want to help keep things running smoothly can do so by....

Not responding to trolls and troll-like comments. Threads that are inactive will automatically close in a short period of time anyway.

If you feel the need to rant about what you feel is an incredibly [insert your choice] stupid, wrong, flagrantly wrong, annoying, ridiculous, moronic, idiotic, neurotic, possibly insane post by someone, there's an app for that... no wait! Its not an app, its a thread within the forum. Go visit (and possibly check yourself into) The Lectern Lounge, and rant about posts that irritate you to your heart's content.

This is not the place to prove that we know more than someone else, it is a help and support forum. There isn't another one like it. Anywhere.

If someone has been posting that does not listen to reason, resort to either ignoring their posts or by private messaging them. (and then head on over to the LL)

Please, please please, remember that tact is a quality that should be highly prized on a public forum. If you think another forum member is wrong about something, the way to continue the conversation, if tact is not your forte, is via a private message. No one is perfect, and not only does everyone make mistakes, but everyone has the occasional bad day.

We have members here who devote so much of their time, and really give of themselves, hence, it follows that they also have learned through their participation here, in addition to their own personal life experience. So, if you're new, and a veteran member takes the time to respond to what you wrote, it will benefit everyone if you are able to grasp this fact. There is much collective wisdom here if you'll only listen.

Remember that new people may very well need help navigating the forum. Some folks are internet and computer savvy, others are not. So, give them the benefit of the doubt, pointing out ideas for self help such as the search function is even more effective if the person knows what the search function actually is. Also, many people may not notice that there are suggestions for "similar threads" at the bottom of last post on each page of the thread. Helping newcomers find a way to research helps everybody.

If an advertisement pops in as a new thread, or within an existing one, use the exclamation icon (click on it) to report it, rather than responding to the spammer, or charlatan directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back