Diagnosis
03/2012
Country
US
State
IL
City
Morton
My brother has ALS and all of a sudden he has VERY high blood pressure. He was complaining of being dizzy when he laid down and upon rising; so I took his BP and laying down was fine. When I took it when he sat up, it went very high and even higher when he stood up. I am not sure if it is related to ALS or another issue. The only medication he is on is Elavil 50mg.
We are going to clinic in 2 days so I will discuss with Dr but in the mean time I was hoping some advice or if anyone has seen this.

Thanks, Sue (newcomer)

Sounds like orthostatic hypertension. He'll need to arise slowly to give his body time to make the adjustment. Does it go back down once he's settled?

Sue,
When I first questioned my GP about my slurred speech last April, it was discovered I had high BP.

I never really had an issue with High BP before.

Could it be related?
Who knows.

Welcome to the Forum.
Casey

LOL that is the problem with my brother, he never wants to sit down and rest. He is constantly doing something. He wabbles around and fusses with things and will not relax. His symptoms started high up with speech and R arm weakness, but his legs are now being affected too. He just quit working, which he should have done months ago, but I think he feels that if he sits down he will never get back up. Use it or loose it.
I will have to check his BP again and see what it does when he rests. I think it will go back to normal.

CGARS, was slurred speech your first symptom? It was for my brother and it seems and not as many people start that way. how are you doing now? What did they do about your BP?

Just like Casey for what it's worth.

I know kiwi, cause you're super cool too! lol

Ya Sue, slurred speech, then right thumb/hand, then arm...

I've been progressing since April 2011, and my legs have started.
Sucks!

Other than some help opening things (water bottles, ziplocks, BEER...) I'm pretty good.
Can't talk that well, but I can text, and am still able to do just about everything else. (just takes alot longer for everything)

I take 5mg of Ramipril daily for the high BP, but my one D r. says I may not really need it!

Hang in there, I'm still here and loving life!
I think the loved ones change more than we do.

Cheers,
Casey

My BP was always good untill about 6 months ago. As my ALS symptoms get worse my BP seems to get higher. The clinic didn't want to treat the problem so a visit to the family doc & now I'm on BP medicine. A nice side effect of the medicine is that the swelling in my feet is greatly reduced.

Be very careful of the high blood pressure, I'm sure you know it's the #1 cause of stroke.

No idea if it's ALS related, but I know it can be deadly. If he shows any sign of having mini-strokes, be sure to call 911 and get him checked ASAP.

Orthostatic hypotension is much more common than the reverse. Many get low BP when they go from sitting to standing. The level it goes up is important--how high it gets.

If BP is routinely over 140/90 that's when it normally needs to be treated. That level is borderline high. If it's above 180/110, that's considered critically high and they will give IV meds to get it lowered. (At least here in FL--a BP that high is guaranteed to have you admitted)

Pain and stress also cause high blood pressure. No meds will keep mine down when I'm having a lot of pain.

I have always had very low blood pressure, but , now , if they take it right after I walk down the hall, it is high from the muscles having to work so much harder. If she waits a couple of minutes, it comes right dowqn. Also, I take Tizanidine, which lowers BP while keeping the spaspms at bay (most of hte time).

If you're having even a little bit of trouble breathing, or as in my case throat spasms, it will raise your blood pressure. If your heart rate goes up due to exertion your blood pressure will be higher. I have had this argument with my primary for the last year. I had my blood pressure taking correctly, the feet on the floor, sitting for at least 2 minutes, arm at heart level, for eight months and had perfect blood pressures. In his office after traipsing down two halls getting my blood pressure taken it is high. He now seems to understand our bodies work much harder then none ALS people

I was placed on a beta block toprol .Its used to lower heart rate and blood pressure and has a calming effect .I think the diagnosed of als is a reason for anyones bp to go up .Very stressful

pat

Thanks for all your responces! We went to clinic and of course his blood pressure was normal. I do think it may have been due to stress, however his heart rate was normal and did not change much upon rising. Strange. At this point I am not going to worry about it too much and just monitor from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back