Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Indiana
City
Brownsburg
Hi everyone! I do not post much....but I read, read, read. I learn so much from all of you. My dad was diagnosed a year ago. He has declined rapidly. He went into the hospital a week ago this last Monday because his heart went into afib...this was the 4th time...by last Wednesday, he was struggling to breathe. They tried the bipap...and it was not working....they had to put the ventilator in him. He turned around in just a matter of a couple of days and they took the vent off 3 days ago....yesterday, he coded. They said that because his chest muscles, and all the muscles related to breathing are weak he was not getting enough of what he needed and he coded. They put him back on the vent...and he will be getting the trach early next week. His heart went into afib again yesterday for about 2 hours...they had to shock him 3 times....and between that and meds were able to regulate it. He was awake during it all. He called my brother into the room after they shocked him ...and told him that he got tazed. (My brother is a cop.) He still has his sense of humor. Please pray for my dad. My heart is breaking...my dad is my hero!

I too do not post much, but also read and learn so much on this forum. Your Dad is an
inspiration to all PALS. He helps to give all us caregivers strength also. I will pray for him. So glad he has sons like you and your brother. May our Lord surround you all with strength and peace to travel this difficult journey. Pam

So sorry to hear about your Dad, glad he has his sense of humor! ALS can't take that away from us, or the love you CALS you show us every day.

Thank you Pam and HelenL.....Pam - Im his daughter. :) Its just me and my younger brother. The doctors and nurses are amazed at how well he does on the vent. He is very awake....he adjusts it in his mouth on his own. Before he coded yesterday, he was actually going to ask the doctor to put the vent back in...because he knew he was not breathing well on his own. Poor man has been a human pin cushion the last few days. Mom said he is back to communicating even faster then he was with his little alphabet board....I have a hard time keeping up.

Hi T, so sorry to hear about your Dad. He's so lucky to have you all. He is such a trooper and I'm glad you're all there for each other.

I'm so sorry to hear about all that your Dad and family have bee through lately. He is truely blessed to have you and your brother in his life. Wonderful that he still has his sense of humor!
Hang in there! Check out member Joelc (one of our friends who has passed on) for archived posts about the vent. He has a link to his website on his profile page that contains a great deal of info about living with a vent
We'll all be keeping you guys in our prayers.

Prayers for your dad and family!

Judy

Hi T, so sorry to hear about your dad, he sounds rather spunky, with a good sense of humor, which we all need . What a wonderful daughter you are! Keep up the good fight, Prayers for your Dad and the family. {{HUGS}}

So sorry to hear about you father, and i would like to appreciate him for his sense of humor. And also i would like to appreciate you, you did very good job. I will pray for you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back