Other
Country
US
State
MI
City
z
Hello,
I started with a lip twitch 3 weeks ago. It only lasted that one day, but since then I have been very focused on twitching and notice every little feeling. My eye twitches, my calfs, my feet, my arms, etc. ALso, now I am studying my tongue. When I protrude it, it quivers. It does not seem to move when it is laying in my mouth. I have no weakness. My tongue is straight and seems to be very strong. Can any one tell me if all over minor twitching and tongue quivering is the beginning signs or does the tongue quivering begin after the weakness, etc. I have been under a great deal of stress lately, too. THe more I worry the more twitches I have.Please help.

Hi Suebo,

I am new to this site and by no means am I an expert, but I have researched als a lot and asked a lot of questions to the members on this forum. I, too, have muscle twitches all over my body, but I have weakness also. There are many, many reasons for muscle twitching. Even stress! So, please don't worry yet. Also, my tongue quivers when I protrude it, but just about everybody's does. Ask someone you know to hold their tongue out, extended -- I bet it will quiver. Leslie

suebo-many people come on this forum with your symptoms including me,in oct. started with left arm by nov. had them all over.al told me that many things can cause twitching to see what happens.well 5 months later i have twitching but no weakness still,so try not to worry about an see if anything developes even then it could be one of many things. bogey

Thanks for your comments. What does your tongue look like when it is quivering? Mine quivers everytime I protrude it. It seems to be toward the middle not the tip. I have looked at everyone in the families but no one seems to quiver as much as mine--probably because I am worried and focused on it.

Everybody's tongue quivers....and your quivering would be on the edges of it. There are lots of reasons for twitches. The more you examine yourself, the more you will stress.

Go to aboutbfs.com and you'll see there are many twitchers and most cases are benign.

If you had tounge problems, you would know it. It would feel really funny, you would have speech problems and it would be atrophied.

The best thing you can do if your concerned, is find a neurologist, that specalizes in ALS and make an appt to see them, request an EMG and you'll likely be cleared with peace of mind.

Best of luck

Suebo,
I found that quivering / twitching isn't usually a problem when there's no sign of weakness, pain and / or fatigue in the muscles.

Also, I've read that ALS twitches are usually very subtle because it's the muscle dying off. You'd probably notice a decrease in strength at the same time or maybe even before the twitching (from what I've read online).

You should have your potasium checked as well. If you're low you will experience twitching and cramping as well. The more you are stressed the worse it becomes. Good luck to you.

Just as an aside here folks, any of the 5 Neuro's I've seen all had me hold my tongue inside my mouth and rest it at the bottom when they were looking for twitches. None have been found yet.
AL.

Well,
I am still twitching almost 5 months later. I have them all over my body especially the arches of my feet 24/7. I saw a neuro 3 months ago. He said all my reflexes and strength is normal--no need for further testing. I have no weakness. I power walk 1 hour a day. I do self strength test frequently. I do have some cramping in my feet and hands if I move them in a funny direction or point my toes. My hands are sore occassionally but I blame that on lifting my 3 year old. I also wake up with my hands asleep quite often. I don't get night cramps. Any suggestions or comments.

Hi Suebo - over on the "Do I Have ALS" forum (new since you posted last!) that is the hot topic! Take a look over there, you may find answers to some of your questions. Many members are experiencing the same symptoms. Good luck. Leslie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back