Diagnosis
03/2011
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Houston
Over the weekend, my husband slurred a few words. I don't believe that he is aware of it. He started with limb onset (foot and right hand) back in MARCH 2011 and I was not expecting this SO SOON..... I thought we had some time before we had to face this path.

So sorry Ruby..

I left the room so that he would not see the disappointment on my face. I hurt for him and each new hurrdle he faces.

Ruby, I don't think we're ever really prepared for the next loss.

I'm definitely no expert here, but was he overtired?

If you definitely think this isn't going away, have you considered model talker or another program to bank his voice? Even a few phrases like "I love you" in his own voice if his starts going. How to approach him about it is another story.

Ruby....I started slurring my words three years ago. I can no longer talk and got a feeding tube last September. I'm still living my life to it's fullest.

I thought about that and his best friend said he has heard him doing it too. At the last clinic visit, they talked about banking his wors but he won't check into it. I have to wait for him to realize he needs to do it.

Hi Ruby,
my husband was slurring words when he first was diagnosed--along with all 4 limbs affected. I dont think he realized it either. sometimes when I am feeling down I listen to an old phone message he left before his voice was messed up. I wish he had banked some words. especially "I love you".

So sorry, Ruby,
My husband is virtually mute at this point; I so miss his voice. Bank his voice if you can... I joined this forum too late to know to do that.... We use an app called "speak it " on his phone... He also has a dyna box. Get equipment before you need it!

Jen

hi ruby,i was thinking the same as helen in that it could be due to fatigue.
i have pls but when fatigued can slurr my words,this has been so from start of illness but over past few years its getting more ofton.
i dont notice most of the time but my son does and points it out to me which i find very annoying and a bit upseting.
best thing to do is just ignore it and carry on as normal..........pointing it out or leaving the room makes us feel uncomfortable.

Ruby....I started slurring my words three years ago. I can no longer talk and got a feeding tube last September. I'm still living my life to it's fullest.

Thank you BeckyW that gives us each and all hope :p:p

My husband is doing this as well. He says it feels like his mouth is beginning to droop. And he's not talking like he normally does. He's also fell twice in the last week and he is losing his grip. My heart goes out to all of you.

If he's not using a wheelchair or scooter, get them now! Get loaners from MDA or ALSA closets while you're waiting. We have a CALS who lost her husband not to ALS but to a fall, and others have also been seriously hurt from falls.

So sorry to hear about your husband
Most people don't hear themselves slurring .I know many friends and family members asked me if l were tired some asked if l had been drinking .It wasn't until my mom told me l was slurring my words .I discussed it with my GP who
didn't hear it because it was pronounced when l was fatigued at night

That was1999 so don't be discouraged
Concentrate on what he can do and have him do it .ALS moves in mysteries ways .

God bless
Patr

Mine started with both slurring and hand weakness. The slurring was, at first, when tired. After diagnosis, I made a token effort with Model Talker, ut it got lost in the shuffle of so many things to do. Now I use Proloquo2go with "heather" as y voice. Thought it would be important to have my real voice, but honestly at this point any means of communication is fine. Hang in there!
Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back