Diagnosis
05/2011
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Jacksonville Beach
I had my G Tube put in 13 days ago. The stitches will be taken out tomorrow. I do not need to use it yet as I can still eat by mouth. We have been flushing it daily.

Question No. 1......How long does it take to stop hurting every time I move or cough?

The left side of my face is normal. I can smile, wink, and close my eyes tight. The right side is a bit stiff. Can not wink or smile properly. Does not sag or droop like a stroke or Bells Palsy. Read all the posts I could find.

Question No. 2......Is this some kind of muscle stiffness I should expect in various areas?

I guess I should only be photographed from the side. Front on looks silly. Yes, there is a smidgen of vanity left. :razz:

Ah, sweet vanity!
Sorry I can't answer your other questions. Did you find Brooksea's PDF of the Peg brochure. Rose has some excellent posts (and photos) of her experience. Seems like the pain should have subsided by now. Sequoia just had her Peg placed recently too.

Re 1 - I think it depends on each person. Some people are just plain more sensitive to pain than others. It also depends on how large a diameter tube you get, as there seems to be a fairly large variation of options. Also depends on where yours happens to been placed in your abdominal wall. So, how's that for a precise answer. :) But I think you should be noticing a gradual improvement. If not, I'd probably just ask your doc about it. Took me about three weeks to have it feel pretty normal.

Re 2 - I'd say stifness/spactisity and/or weakness.

Hi, my g-tube stopped hurting soon after stitches removed. Now it's mostly fine, tho occasionally sore for short periods. Use for all my meds and about 1/3 of my food. Got it placed last November .
Good luck!
Sue

HI

I can't speak as to G-tube--but generally, abdominal surgery of any kind affects the muscles--which can take about 6 weeks to be totally pain free from personal experience.

As for the left sided face issue--please please I implore you go be SURE you haven't had a stroke or mini-stroke. Anyone with sudden onset of one-sided weakness or paralysis--despite an ALS diagnosis--should still be checked for possible stroke. I speak from experience. I had a stroke at 45.

There doesn't have to be 'sagging' for a stroke--really there doesn't. Not only have I had a stroke, but I was an EMT for over 20 years. Any EMT would transport you to a hospital with those signs. If you have ANY new weakness in your left side--it's absolutely imperative you be seen NOW.

My tube was sore fore about 2 weeks. I am wondering why some of you had stitches? Was it because of breathing issues and not being able to be put under all the way? Just wondering I had no stitches with mine.

I think it is mostly doc preference. Just in my little support group we've seen fat tubes, skinny tubes, stitches, no stitches. Then held in with bumper, balloon, and pigtail. My original had permanent stitches because that was the only thing preventing it from sliding in and out.

Thanks for the input, my friends. Some times it helps just to know you are not alone in what's happening to you.
I will check out the other posts mentioned too.

Got my stitches out yesterday.

Stitches and base of G Tube were much too tight holding my stomach to my abdomen wall with a lot of discomfort. The doctor adjusted everything all is well. No pain at all. :)

I'm glad to learn you're feeling better. I don't know about your facial issues. Hopefully it won't last, whatever it is. I would point it out at the next appointment you have with your neuro or at the clinic.

:DI'm so glad that removing the stitches alleviated the discomfort.:grin:

Hi Magpuff,
Glad to hear your PEG was adjusted and is now feeling better. Mine was the same way and once the doctor did the adjustment it was instant relief.
As for the face, I have the same exact thing but mine is on the left side. I showed it to my neurologist and he told me it is atypical for ALS and to be on the safe side he did an MRI to rule out a tumor. Mine was not sudden, as I noticed the change over about seven months. Thankfully my MRI was completely normal and we can add this additional atypical enigma to my list. I have said more than once I am way too vain for this beast. My smile is crooked and I look ridiculous. I like you now try to only show my good side to the camera.
Blessings,
Linda

Yes, Linda....mine did not come on suddenly either. More of a stiffness than anything else. It's as if the facial muscles on that side stopped working. Although I have no trouble eating on that side.

Isn't it great to have an odd symptom with this ugly disease? Makes things much more interesting.

Together we could make one complete smiling face so keep your "good side" working.

Question
Did you all have general anesthetic or was it done under local

Patricia

Magpuff we would make quite a pair. A perfect smile. We are odd but that makes us unique. I had general anesthesia with my PEG and then when it was replaced with a Mic-key button two months later I was given a sedative and was out and don't remember a thing. I didn't have stitches.
Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back