Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
UK
State
Tyne and Wear
City
Newcastle upon Tyne
How can you stop your mouth as throat from terribly drying up, the instant your head hits the pillow. I’ve got the saliva spray as also the salivix gums but both are no good when asleep

I know its part of the ALS but it’s also one of the biggest worries

Chris are you taking any meds which may be causing this? Though Mark struggles terribly with drooling during the day, his mouth too dries up at night because he sleeps with his mouth open and takes a lot of night time medication. He at one time tried a chin strap to keep his mouth shut but this made him feel claustrophobic.

What I do during the night now when I am up on a routine check is rub his mouth round with a lolly sponge dipped in diluted mouth wash - I guess I may do this about three times during a night and it seems to help. I do of course make sure that his head position is such that no saliva runs backwards down his throat. We also use the saliva spray but when he is asleep I don't like spraying it into his mouth.

Are you using a bipap? If not--it may be that your mouth is open when you're sleeping causing it to dry out. If on bipap-it may need a different setting on the humidifier portion

Rachel: you are an angel!

-Tom

A chin strap worked for me. I'm using a BiPap with a full face mask; the strap helps keep my mouth shut so my breathing is primarily through my nose.

Every R T I talked to said it wouldn't help but as usual their answers were from a book as opposed to actual experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back