Diagnosis
04/2012
Country
US
State
TN
City
Nashville
I'm planning remodeling of the house and need the length of a Hoyer lift. With the legs closed, to transport, most widths seem to be around 24" or so. I can find nothing on the web give the length of any Hoyer lift. I need the length so I can determine if a door needs to be widened, so that when I am in it, the wife can make a 90 degree turn to take me into the bathroom to shower or commode.

Actually, most reputable vendors do list the length, and/or link to PDFs of the owner's manuals, which show diagrams of the dimensions. But most are 43-46" long. Going to mfr sites is another option. And check out YouTube videos for the looks.
Generally, the actual Hoyer brand is not recommended other than the more modern models. Otherwise, you are best advised to go with a different brand. Of course, "Hoyer" is often used generically, but this is misleading in doing your shopping.
The turning radius w/ your weight is going to be more important for you, and that is not on the Web. I can tell you from doing many U turns with them that you cannot expect as tight a pivot as you get with a power chair, for example, and that weight is an issue, as well as the flooring type. Also, if you are going to be doing a lot of tight turns, you might consider a foot-pedal base widening function rather than the tiller types. If you are on carpet, however, the electric base widening models are not recommended because they tend to get stuck.
What models are you considering and how tight are your turns?

Yes, I was using Hoyer as a generic term. The flooring surface is wood and tile thank goodness. The turn into the master bathroom will be a 90 degree right hand turn. I have to widen the doorway but am trying to determine if with a 36" doorway and the length to the far wall will be enough to make the turn. I'm down to 200 lbs so that's quite a burden. Ha!

Otherwise, I have to have an entrance cut through a wall in the living room to have straight access into the other bathroom. Plus widen that bathroom door too. That's a straight shot but truly reduces the usability of the living room.

Still learning about the models. I appreciate the input on the foot pedal base versus the tiller style.

Make sure to get an electric lift. Would it be possible to transfer to a shower/commode chair in the bedroom and then wheel that into the bathroom? I for one, would not be comfortable traveling in a lift for any great distance. There are excellent combo models on the market that even have the tilt/recline feature that you'll need.

You may also consider using a rolling shower/potty chair. You could transfer into the shower chair in the bedroom and then roll into bath in the chair. This worked best for us because of limited space.

I like ghostwriter's idea. Sorry, my post went to mod land

We made a 90 degree turn into our master bedroom with both the Invacare lift and the shower/tilt chair with no problem. Our door opening is 36".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back