Diagnosis
03/2011
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Houston
My husband wears a foot brace but when he goes to put his shoes on his toes curl under. We don't know what to do to keep them straight until he gets his shoes on. For now, he will put his shoes on and try and push down on the top of his shoes to get them to straighten out. I would appreciate any suggestions.

I wish I had an answer! I have the same problem and have asked for suggestions as well, but didn't get any. The only one I got consistently was don't wear shoes!

Speak up folks and help us out, please! :D

I don't really have a good answer but can tell you what I do. Mostly now I just wear slippers around the house & when I go out since I can't walk anyway. Back when I could walk I just had to totally loosen all of the laces of my shoes and sort of slip my foot in without letting the toes catch on anything.

Lol, we do live near the water and a more relax area.

I have same issue. I go barefoot or wear slippers in the house. I have sandals that are comfoable but not stylish. Got a pedicure other day. They could not get the toe spacers in. My toes look great now....purple polish!

This picture shows how I have cut an old pair of running shoes for access to my curling toes.

Attachments

• toe-cut.jpg
    toe-cut.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 7,373
look for shoe that can be opened up by either loosing the strings and lifting the tongue up or that have a flap that can open up. This makes it easier to slide the toes into the end of the shoe and then setting the foot down instead of trying to push the toes the lenth of the shoe. Also some insole grab your sock and pull the toes under. Slippery insole or slippery socks will help. I do not recommend open or no shoes on a powerchair. Protect those piggy toes from impact. Penny1

Thanks eveyone for your help. Being new with this journey with my husband, this forum has helped more than anyone knows. I read this forum everyday and gain so much knowledge. It is a confort knowing that I can come here for help.

It also helps if you put powder in the shoe... The other thing is to get shoes that have velcro straps that you can take out and the shoe is open nearly all the way, then put the 2 velcro straps in. I bought mine online at jcp.

BTW, powder also works for squeaky wood floor boards! :)

My children were toe curlers and the owner of the Stri de Ri te store showed me how to unfurl the curl. I have not tried it on myself nor showed my children, only because I don't have shoes to fit my feet anymore. No guarantee, but let me know how it works:

Loosen shoelaces, may have to remove a few from the eyes (that's what the holes are called)

About midline of the top of the foot, pull and hold tight the extra fabric

This should (and did) unfurl the curled toes

Slip the foot into the shoe while holding the tightened fabric

Unless the toes are contractured, this should wotk

Good luck

I posted, but it's in moderation... try shoes with velcro that open up wider in the front, and also for women the shoes that are called "mary jane" shoes are easier to put on.

I'm a dippy doodle. The fabric is the sock

Geez Helen, you got modded on shoes!?

A recent magazine from MDA had an advertisement for shoes (atheletic style) that "broke open" at the instep for ease in applying. There is a popular catalog (SP) in the tips, tricks, and gadgets thread that carry some soft shoes that are excellent in accommodating swollen feet that are very easy to put on. (velcro straps)

I mentioned a dept store that sells them... even though it was only initials! I'm sure the moderators are scrambling at this point, hoping that they'll get someone to help out soon.

Also put powder in the toe box of the shoes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back