Side vs rear loading minivan- experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SueG

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
ME
City
central
Hi,
We are looking at converted minivans for my PWC. What tips do users have on side ramp vs rear ramp? All ideas appreciate!

We have a rear ramp and we like it a lot. It's easy for Tom to drive straight in with his PWC without negotiating a turn. With a rear-entry van, you don't have to worry about people parking next to you either.

We looked at a rear entry Dodge that actually " kneeled" so that the incline wasn't so steep. The PWC was tied down in the center of the passenger row behind the front seats. Great view. It could be equipped with another rear seat that flips up for entry or when not needed. There was also an option available to have the PWC roll into the driver's position and outfitted for hand controls. One advantage was not having to find a parking spot with enough side clearance. Sliding doors on both sides. Ramp could be manual or remote.
Whichever way you go, you'll need to make sure that ther is enough clearance for your particular brand and size of chair. You'll need to check for headroom, location of lock downs, and with a side entry to make sure there's enough room to turn your chair to get it into position to lock down. This will be important when using the tilt and recline feature on the PWC.
Rear entry gets my vote.
Keep in mind that at some point maneuvering the chair may have to be done by an attendant switch on the chair.

Last edited:
We have the side ramp on our minivan. I didn't want to exit in back into traffic. Best for us. We have seat in back row for other passengers.

We have a side entrance minivan- town and country. Spacious and good on the road. I like it also because I feel that when you are in a parking lot and the person in the wheelchair is entering they are not out in traffic. Good for co-piloting and conversation They are right there with you. There are too many inconsiderate people out there that do not look or care. In some minivans with the rear entrance the wheelchair is in the third seat behind the second row. Not good for conversation. By the way see what the gas mileage is - it stinks.

we have a side entry. go to a mobility van center-=-they should let you test drive both. I did--drove it home, picked up my husband in his chair and drove him around town. We liked the side better--we needed the back seat for our big family. can also remove the driver/passenger seat so he could sit up front too.

My clinic staff recommended a side entry. Just in the process of getting pwc so not sure what we'll do. Thanks for starting this thread! I too am seeking info.

I don't have one yet, but I did read that if you're parallel parking somewhere (next to a curb) you may not be able to use the rear entry van. Sue, let me know what you end up with, I'm needing one as well.

Thanks, all. We are working with a handicap van center, our salesman is a peach, he's brought us two to test drive already and that's allowed us to decide on make we want, and give him a price range. We will go for a side entry, he explained how that will work better for our driveway and ramp layout. Now, fingers crossed that he will find one to fit our budget!
Sue

Like like like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back