Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Steinhatchee
I have spinal stenosis and a few bulging discs.I have been on pain meds. My pain Dr has mentioned the injections but I'm not sure if that is a good route to go. My question is how long do they last and how effective are they? Any advice would be appreciated.
Beckysuenc

I had pain after a lumbar fusion. Injection worked for about 3 weeks. Then right back to square one. We removed the implants, and almost back to normal. There is a procedure called a percutaneuous microdiscectomy that uses little tiny incisions to take out the part of the disk that bulges. Don't know if it is appropriate for you, but they can only do those injections a few times. I would at least talk to a nuerosurgeon (your neurologist knows the good ones). I used to work in hte medical field (ortho implants) and we used to say "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." So the injections are the pain guys "hammer".

Good luck! Second opinion is always a good idea

Thank you so much for your advice. My neurologist has said absolutely no surgery. If the injections only last a few weeks, I think I will pass. Thanks again.

Becky, I know quite a few folks who have had spinal injections for various reasons. The effect of the shot just depend on the person. Some people the effects only last a short time, others get a good benefit for months or even years. If the pain is that bad, you might want to try it at least once. Some places will give you a sedative during the procedure so that you won't remember the horribleness of it. If the shot works for a long time, then great, maybe you can just get them when you need them. If it only lasts a few weeks, then don't do it again. Just a thought. Hope you can get some relief soon!

i also have spinal stenosis, had 2 injections, first did not do anything, second actually made it worse, wanted to give me a third, which i guess is the max. she wanted to go in from a different angle, however i guess it is worth a shot, the injection it self was painless and was done in the office, i refused a third, good luck with whatever you decide to do, margaret

Thanks everyone for your input. After the last couple days I may consider them. A lot to think about. Again, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back