Diagnosis
05/2011
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Jacksonville Beach
I have lost 23 lbs. in a few months. I can see my legs getting thinner. The doctor says I am beginning to lose muscle mass. He said I should try to maintain my weight.

I can still eat regular food cut up. Besides 350 calorie ensure, what are some other options? Keep in mind my husband is not real handy in the kitchen.

He is able to open bottles though. :lol:

I used to make Danny fruit smoothies. You have to use a full fat yogourt like Mediterainian. The higher the fat content the better to help with calories. Instead of adding milk add the Ensure. These taste much better than Ensure alone, plus give you a serving of fruit and dairy. If consistancy is a problem when swallowing add milk to thin it down.

Good Luck

The advice of our dietician and most folks on here is to eat whatever you want. Think of those foods that you used to avoid because they weren't 'good for you'. Dad loves ice cream and Mom gives him a small amount wth nearly every meal.

I think my Dad's weight loss is a combination of the muscle mass loss, his body expending so much energy to breath, and the fact that he now eats so much slower than before and, therefore, eats less at a sitting. I'm not sure that we can reverse the weight loss via dietary changes any longer, but we try by pushing the high-calorie, easy-to-eat stuff. Though we're no longer worried about clogging his arteries, we still have to watch how the carbs, in particular, affect the sugar/insulin levels.

Dad doesn't want a feeding tube and it's not an option now due to his respiratory issues, but it seems like that is the best way to get the nutrition and calories needed to keep weight up as long as possible. If you're thinking it's an option for you, please don't wait until respiratory issues prohibit the procedure.

I'm so glad your husband is there for you, even if he's not "real handy in the kitchen" :)

There is a product called Benecal

The neutral flavor blends right into most foods and beverages to add more nutrition to every bite. One 1.5 oz serving provides 7 grams of protein and 100% of the RDI for vitamins C and E.

Benecalorie® is a great way to enhance foods with more calories and protein. A single 1.5 fl oz serving contains 330 calories, 7 grams of high quality protein, and blends easily into liquids and most foods.

Little things add up: Like lattes? order them "breve" (1/2 and 1/2) Full fat milk... cream or half and half even better. Full fat cheese. Put gravy or sauce on things. Milkshakes are now your friend! Boost and Ensure both make puddings that can add calories and nutrition.

Now's the time to make dessert foods your new best friend. Cheesecakes are soft and full of calories. Cakes and ice cream too. And since hubby isn't that handy in the kitchen, your next stop is the grocery store bakery. ENJOY!

Lots of butter on everything! Full-fat cheese for snacks. And feeding tube advice above. I got tube in November, and use it for meds and some food- I like having the options tho I respect some choose not to. But t has helped me keep my weight steady, stressed as important at every clinic visit.
Good luck!

Thanks, my friends......off to the store for some triple chocolate ice cream. I assume the Benecalorie can be sprinkled on anything?

Go to Gastro on Tuesday to discuss PEG. They said I should opt for it now as my breathing is at 48%. Another step downward for "Lou" Another step closer for Maggie.

There is now so much medical equipment in my house that a guest may have to sit on a potty chair.

recomend beef up your smoothies. i use a vita mix and my health drink contains approx 700 calories, twice a day, some times 3, plus 3 meals
when symptoms appeared in apr09, lost over 20lbs, gained back 10 and have held that since. it takes a lot of calories, try to hit 24 to 2600
daily. boost is good but doing your own is better

What is your recipe, pear shoot?v. Sounds awesome!

I had to gain weight to magpuff...my family feed me everything and anything, nibble allday long on all the great stuff you lick. I call myself a grazer now just like the cows and horses........:)

There is now so much medical equipment in my house that a guest may have to sit on a potty chair.

now this is funny.
getting my peg too. dropped from 77 to 53.

from gnc store muscle milk (32 grams protein, 150 calories plus minerals) creadrive (34grams carbohydrates, 140 calories plus creatine) creatine monohydrate (total creatine daily 15 grams) flax seed oil (130 calories fat, omega3) after two years had to give this up because of taste but will start it again if and when i go on the tube. cup of milk (80 calories) handful assorted fruit (80 calories, whatever is in season berries are best, anti toxin) big spoon peanut butter (100 calories) big squirt of honey (80 calories) want more calories, add ice cream. been doing this for almost 3 years. before als 182, holding 172. wishing you success

I'm using the benecalorie too. It's a premeasured liquid. I've gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks.

Lots of Ensure and real Ice cream as much as you want!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back