Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Bolton
Hello. I read a lot about various cushions people use on their wheelchairs. Those seem to be discussions about seat cushions.

We have a different problem. It is the back cushion that is always uncomfortable for L. He seems slumped to one side, causing his shoulder to rub and now he is having a red mark (which we are keeping an eye on so it does not become a pressure sore).

He has tried several back cushions, and they are either too wide so don't give enough support or seem to 'suffocating him' (wings to sides, enveloping him). Any ideas? What is your back cushion like?

Dani

Hi Dani

Mark has a tension adjustable backrest on his chair with a fairly flexible cushion on. The adjustable backrest helps to accomodate Scoliosis and Kyphosis. Marks spine has changed in shape fairly rapidly and the backrest can be readjusted to aid support. It stops him slumping to one side which is extremely important for neck and head comfort. The backrests are available in "tall" so that even though the shoulders have become very rounded they are supported. The cushion over the top is literally just for comfort and flexes with the adjustable straps.

These backrests, I believe can be fitted to the majority of wheelchairs in place of the standard backrests.

Though for Mark his spine changes cant be corrected, just accomodated, the correct backrest can prevent/slow down further deterioration in position.

Also note that the MNDA has recently received lots of funding for improvements in wheelchair assistance via the MND Care and Research Centre in Oxford. This money is specifically to improve "challenges" faced with PALS specific needs.

Last edited:
We just used a piece of memory foam cut to fit the back of the chair. Covered it with cloth.. but this probably wont work for you guys as it sounds like L needs something to support him. I sure hope you find something. I know our Ann had this problem and eventually she just had to stay in bed.

I use a ROHO back cushion, which has same construction as the seat cushions. Then I have lateral side supports I can use to keep me upright. The ROHO is pretty squishy though.

We were using sheep skin. If you go that route, buy the rug. It's the same as what they advertise for beds and chairs, just cheaper.

They were telling me the other week there is a gauze backrest (like net) in place of a cushion, may be worth you both looking into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back