Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Fenton
My husband has ALS, among other things his right side has lost most of it's use. Last nite he said he woke up with a swollen big toe on his right foot, of course he didn't tell me until this morning. It was real painful last nite but today he has no pain but it is very red and swollen and the rest of his toes are swollen but not red, his foot and ankle are swollen too. I figured it was gout altho he has never had that problem. Has anyone had this problem because of ALS or am I just blaming everything he gets on the disease! GRRRRR!

I had that happen before my diagnosis, but not recently... is the circulation ok in his foot? You may want to have a doctor look at it.

Red and swollen could also be a sign of a skin infection (cellulitis).If it seems to be spreading or if he has a fever or just feels ill I would get it looked at tonight (I am sorry I know how hard it is to do the ER thing) Gout usually centers at the joint. is that where it started? does he have any cuts or open areas on his foot that could be a source of infection?
Good luck I hope it is gout!

Is he a diabetic.? That can cause foot problems.

AL.

I've had gout a lot over the years. It is like having broken glass in the foot or knee. When it is very bad just a sheet lying over the foot causes pain. I've had redness around the ankle but never any swelling.

Bella,

My first thought was gout also. Have you taken him to the doc tor? Any news?

Thanks for the suggestions, he went to the doctor Monday, it is Gout but she didn't give him anything for it. I could not go with him I had an emergency with my Mom (94). I wrote her notes and she knows my number but didn't call me. Maybe if it does't hurt they don't give medicine,they took some blood to see if his uric acid is up.

She also gave him scripts for his meds to be turned into liquid form, I had asked for that. This is really going faster than I thought it would. Speech, saliva, balance, right side really bad, choking, can't move food around in mouth cause right side of tongue won't work. Has suction and cough assist machine, they help alot.

He fell last week putting air in the tractor tire, I was out there with him, he could not get up even with me pulling on him. Thank heaven the tractor had the bucket on it and he could finally get to the bucket ( which was only about 1 ft. from him, I pulled him in the bucket, started the tractor and raised the bucket until he was high enough to stand! These weird things happen all the time.

Bella,

I'm glad it was gout and not something worse (if that makes sense). I'm surprised she didn't give him medication for it but she's the doc tor and that's why they get paid the big bucks.

Has your husband mentioned getting the PEG tube? That would help on the choking issues. As for the falling, does he use a walker? Clever idea to use the bucket to lift him up.

You also mentioned your emergency with your Mom. Is everything okay with her? Please take time for yourself and thank you for updating us.

Many prayers and much love,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back