Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
US
State
IN
City
Rochester
My husband started out with a cold about 3 or 4 weeks ago. He has been coughing ever since alot. He is going to our general practioner (finally) tomorrow. He has been through 3 bottles of Robitussin DM and taking Advil. I see so much about Muscinex and cough assist stuff here on the forum, but don't know if this is ALS related. Does coughing go along with the disease? He is coughing ok, brings up alot of mucus, but not all the time. Just wondering if coughing goes along with als as the norm. He still eats most stuff on a regular basis, but takes him forever. Just need info from others. Hope he haqs not had pneumonia all this time. I see that mentioned also. Thanks to all. Pam

Good that he is going to the Doc tomorrow. colds don't last 4 weeks--and mucus is not a good sign. Coughing is not a symptom of ALS. Do you have a pulmonologist? My husband has not gotten any colds in the last few years but I was told if he did that I should take him to his pulmonologist. I found a local one who was familiar with ALS thru a referral from the ALSA since I am 2 hours from our ALS clinic.

good luck and let us know how it goes tomorrow.

The cough assist will help him to bring up the mucus. Some of us have difficulty coughing productively due to a decline in abdominal and diaphragm muscle strength. Insurance will pay for the equipment if his RT/Pulmonologist recommends it based on specific measurements of his pulmonary function.

Dr says he has bronchtitis. Gave him a shot and 2 different antibiotics. Hope he is better in a few days. Didn't understand about the cough assist machine. Glad to know ins will pay. I see now why a person might need a pulmonary dr down the road. Good info. Thanks

Hope that will nip it in the bud and he will back to his old self soon. stay on top of it!:)

My Dad has had both bronchitis and pneumonia in the 4 months before his diagnosis - when he was already having diaphragm issues, but we didn't know it. He recovered from both just fine. We know he's aspirating, but he doesn't want a feeding tube, so we watch for symptoms of bronchitis and pneumonia. Unfortunately, they're not always obvious, especially once the ability to cough is all but gone. Thank goodness your husband has you to look out for him! :)

Hi! My husband's last two colds lasted 4 weeks... We now have a compression vest (breaks up the mucous), a cough assist (to inflate lungs then pull mucous out) and a suction machine (to take the mucous out of his mouth)... Last cold lasted 10 days with this system... His insurance paid for all three... Good luck!

Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back