Diagnosis
01/2012
Country
US
State
west
City
mid
My OT is fitting me for a hand brace to wear at night as my fingers are curling. She wants to order me a brace that has my fingers and thumb for a 'c' shape (more an oval cut in half - the brace wont be a true 'c' in that in won't curl down and let my first knuckle bend). However, all the old threads seem to show that most of you who have these braces flatten your hand rather than make this shape. Does anyone have a 'c' shape brace? I think I am going to push for the 'flat' brace as that is what seems to work for all of you. Have any of you had trouble with the flat brace? (My OT says she want me to have the 'c' brace as it's more comfortable.) I've e-mailed my dr for his input as well. Thanks, all.

I vote for flat. It worked for me. They don't take long to get used to.

AL.

i have both. i switch wearing them, one day flat, a few days later curved. i can wear my cruved and work my mouse sometimes,depends on the fingers that day.

My dr, OT and ALS RN all believe it is more useful for me for my hand to be curled because I can use it some. If I straighten it out with a brace, I won't be able to move it at all. I wear a wrist brace at night because my hand flops around without it. They called it a 'cock-up' brace and it just lets my fingers stay in the same position they are in all day. HTH

I have a resting hand splint (seems to be what you are describing). It is hot and uncomfortable, but it did help with the contractures. However, I've been thinking the flat, separate-the-fingers kind would be better... I think it would feel good to have straight fingers for awhile. Might have to try one of those myself before long.

~ Sarah

I have curved hand splints, wear at night, they really help. The plastic is covered with a soft fabric. While my hands were still functional, sort of, I only wore one each night, alternating, but now that they're useless I wear both each night. My local orthotic/prosthetic shop got them for me with a script from my clinic.
Good luck!
Sue

I like what MaryPat does...alternating the flat and curved.

Deb, it keeps my rom in my fingers. i dont wear them at night cause im afraid of hurting someone with them but when im chillaxin.

What you described in your original post is what my husband has. He doesn't use it often, but it did provide some relief for him at night. Daytime, he simply tries to flex his fingers as much as possible.
Good luck!
Meg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back