buying v. leasing a converted van--Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbenton22

Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
US
State
MD
City
Bel Air
Can anyone tell me the process they went through to pick a van for travel? My mom just got her power chair and we need to start the process to get a van.

As of right now, we have neither and I'm a full lift. We found the office of aging to be a cheaper route to go. If you're medicaid or medicare its free. Im private pay but it still can't beat the price of doing it yourself. It costs 2 dollars round trip in town. 15 dollars to drive an hour or so away. And 50 dollars to take me to clinic 3 hours away. All round trip prices. And with gas prices it is cheaper. Plus its a tax write off.

I didn't know Medicare would help you buy a van or did I miss understand

She is talking about the local transportation service I believe. Vans are VERY expensive, especially the newer ones. What is the dollar amount you can afford? Our 2009 Honda Odessey was over $50,000.

Sadie, I think I have that in my back pocket.

Medicare does not help you buy a vehicle and neither does medicaid. Sometimes, and this was years ago before the crash, but vocational rehabilitation would help with purchasing transportation. Now that was for those returning to the work force not for those leaving ( As in para or quadraplegia ).

Good luck to you,

Sorry, Caldona. Sadie is right. I was talking about our special bus service. These busses have the lift and lock downs. Just the lock downs don't fit in my budget.

22, You live just outside Baltimore City, I can't remember but is Bel Air in Baltimore County? Its been years since I was there, but I do know that both the City and County have public and private services. My son manages 1 called Trans Care, they are white with green. He also handles the State contract with the busses with the lifts. I enjoy our service, I can have a caregiver or 2 go with me free.

Again, good luck

Bel Air is in Harford County. They do have a county ride. I will look into that option. It might be the best option because my step father is 83 and my mom,the PALS is 71 and nervous when he drives. My sister and I take her to her doctor appointments. I will need to find out how far they will travel, as the ALS clinic is in Balimore City.

Thank you all for your help

If you mom is a veteran the VA will help with the costs of a van up to $18,000.

-Tom

We have a van that we bought wholesale on ebay at a big savings(2 yo toyota sienna for $25,000). The problem is, we do not use it that much for transporting my husband--he just doesn't feel up to going many places. I drive it as my primary vehicle to work so we are racking up the miles and wear on it. If we had known, we could have kept my small car and used the transport that toto talked about, or even rented a WC accessable van for trips to the doctor a couple hours away. We have a mobility dealer in town and they rent vans for about $150 a day--cheaper than owning one if you only use it occasionally!

If you really want to buy one, look at used ones--often they do not have many miles on them or much wear and tear (unlike mine:) ) and can be bought a big savings.

Assess your expected van needs carefully and if you feel you really do need a van for daily use, then based on my experience, I also recommend buying used. In addition to being much cheaper, if it is not quite what you need, you can probably sell it for about what you paid for it if you shop carefully and buy privately. I bought my first side-entry wheelchair van in 2005 on the Internet. It was a Chrysler Town and Country converted by Braun. It was a 1999 model and had 45,000 miles. I paid $16,000 US for it. It has lasted me 7 years and, aside from replacing two transmissions, has been relatively trouble-free and now has over 175,000 miles on it. I am retiring it to my daughter's place so I will have a van when my wife and I fly out to visit.

I have just purchased my first new car in my life. After much research into Honda and Toyota, I felt that another Chrysler van was best for my needs. I never thought I would spend $59,000 on a car. I purchased it in Arizona - much better than buying in Canada where it would cost over $70,000 and in Canadian dollars to boot. If I had only needed the old van for local use, I would have kept it a few more years but we need something dependable for lots of long trips.

Is your mom going to Hopkins? Or University of Maryland?

Just spoke with my ALS Association on vans this last week. She was adamant that I do not purchase a van until I have my pwc. Something about the head clearance on the various models (both pwc and vans) and that some individuals had purchased vans at a large expense and then had trouble using them after they got their chairs. She also mentioned the renting a van, which works well for some of her pALS. Does anyone know if their county/city office on aging will assist with ALS patients who are not elderly? I realize different states/ different rules but just thought some of you may have experience with this.

Mich,
I'm only 51. And I've been on busses with young people and old. Some are disabled and some are not.

She is at University now. Diagnosed at Hopkins and unhappy with their ALS clinic.

That is some good advice. I think we are going to opt for the county ride program. We also found out that the ALS clinic she goes to has grant money to take her to the clinic visits. My mom is nervous about her 82 year old husband driving the van and it is looking like the cost is not worth the little it would be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back