Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Oxford
Any help would be greatly appreciated from the fine people on this board. I had a neck injury, c5 c6 in late 2011. Caused severe spine and nerve compression. Nuerosurgeon said cervical myelopathy. Had leg isues, brisk reflexes, clonus in one leg....no babinski. Had left arm radiculopathy and wrist issue. Had c5 c6 partial corpectomy with fusion at c5 c6 in Jan 2012. All went well but still had bodywide fasics, brisk reflexes, but not as bad and slight clonus still in right leg. HAD EMG done 8 weeks post surgery and it shows fibs in c5 c6 paraspinals and bi cep and deltoid of left arm....this is the one that had the radiculopathy. Also showed +1 fibs in lumbar s1 to l5. Right arm had fib i bicep. Nerve compression was said to have been bilateral. I have no pain and recently returned to gym. Wrist has almost completely healed as I can now pick up just about anything with it after physical therapy. Grip strength doubled during physical therapy. I am concerned about the fibs on EMG. Nuero said it all correlates with injury to neck and corpectomy surgery and will take months to heal. My right leg always had issues since I hurt myself and still seems somewhat weaker although EMG showed all normal for both legs and all normal for Tongue?

Any comments appreciated as the fibs just have me so concerned about MND.

Thank you in advance...I have never posted before.....ALL have a WONDERFUL DAY, they are all so precious!

You have your perfect answer, from your Doctor. He thinks it all relates to your neck issues. No reason he should be incorrect as he's the expert. Celebrate, don't worry. Best to not read EMG results unless you are an expert. They train for years to evaluate the results, you/ we do not. Just read the conclusion!

Best of luck to you
Aly

if the EMG and nerve conduction tests were fine then why don't you believe that Doctor. Your type of operation usually has a long recovery time. I would give it a few more months and then have a checkup. Until then try not to worry.

Al

I thank you both for your answers. So I guess FIBS on EMG after surgery are not uncommon. ALSO, my lumbar showed fibs at s1 l5 and showed chronic denervation/reinnervation. Nuero said that based on the condition of my neck being pretty ugly with stenosis or spondylytis? cannot remember which....he said he thinks my back is in same condition and said to have an MRI for possibly polyradiculopathy? I do have back issues if i walk for a long time....have to sit down and stretch it all forward. Just concerned about the right leg....emg showed normal in calf, tiblias and thigh just last month, but it sure feels awkward. Always has since injury? Nuerosurgeon said I may have permanent issue due to the myelopathy.

Just cant seem to get the possible MND thing out of my mind. We have a dear friend fighting *** it right now and he is truly a HERO.

You have your perfect answer, from your Doctor. He thinks it all relates to your neck issues. No reason he should be incorrect as he's the expert. Celebrate, don't worry. Best to not read EMG results unless you are an expert. They train for years to evaluate the results, you/ we do not. Just read the conclusion!

Best of luck to you
Aly

Hey ALY, not sure if you saw my reply and I really really do not want to question my Dr as he is a teaching Dr at a top 25 hospital and was very nice through he procedure. In your past experience do FIB on EMG after surgery seem normal? that is my big concern.

Trust your doctor. You just glorified him and took it away in the same sentence. You need to wait and let your body heal. And like Al said,wait, recover and then revisit. And please don't go og le any symp toms. Save those for a real doc tor.

Good luck,

With the answers you received from your Dr's I am not sure why you are here, it seems you already have the answer to your questions. Listen to your Dr's.

Trust your doctor. You just glorified him and took it away in the same sentence. You need to wait and let your body heal. And like Al said,wait, recover and then revisit. And please don't go og le any symp toms. Save those for a real doc tor.

Good luck,

Thank you! He was a very patient doctor and answered any and all questions I had. You are so right about GOOGLE.....my wife gets so upset with me and I dont really blame her. She will just LOVE your "TOTOS DOROTHY".....she is the BIGGEST OZ fan i have ever met!

I do appreciate your comments. I did have another Nuero tell me that it would be around 6 months from surgery before another EMG would be useful as healing just take a long time and emg will show damage up until it heals.

With the answers you received from your Dr's I am not sure why you are here, it seems you already have the answer to your questions. Listen to your Dr's.

I think I just google tooooo much and it just seemed that FIBS did not fit after surgery but as you said....Why am I questioning a Dr with years of experience who teaches EMG to student in a highly reputable hospital? I wish I had an acceptable answer to that, but I know there is not one.

THANK YOU! Have a NICE DAY!

Ted, one question....can you tell me possibly why my leg would feel somewhat weak in the thigh and achey in the calf, but the emg which tested both...said all normal? Only said I had Chronic denervation/reinnervation in lower back s1 to l5 with possibly radiculopathy?

THANKS, your generosity with your time is greatly appreciated.

You have spine issues. Nerves are traumatized and moved during surgery or injury and that can cause fibs ans fasics as well as weakness. My neurommuscular doc said you can have fibs from a spinal tap. If you had NMD, why on earth would your doc not tell you? Remember, NMD starts its damage long before you notice symptoms.

When I was being diagnosed with MND, I crammed my spinal cord issues down all my docs throats inorder to have my MND diagnosed changed to anything else. I was not as lucky as you are.

Enjoy the fact you do not have MND.

You have spine issues. Nerves are traumatized and moved during surgery or injury and that can cause fibs ans fasics as well as weakness. My neurommuscular doc said you can have fibs from a spinal tap. If you had NMD, why on earth would your doc not tell you? Remember, NMD starts its damage long before you notice symptoms.

When I was being diagnosed with MND, I crammed my spinal cord issues down all my docs throats inorder to have my MND diagnosed changed to anything else. I was not as lucky as you are.

Enjoy the fact you do not have MND.

Thank you....you truly are correct...I need to just kick myself in the arse! Your insight truly is invaluable. Enjoy your evening!

stoli, consider yourself blessed, I had c-5-c-6 operated on plated & screwed because of ruptued disk pressing on spinal cord, thought it would fix my problems. I was not as blessed as you are. Count every day a blessing you can heal from yours.

stoli, consider yourself blessed, I had c-5-c-6 operated on plated & screwed because of ruptued disk pressing on spinal cord, thought it would fix my problems. I was not as blessed as you are. Count every day a blessing you can heal from yours.

Thank you for you kind words! May I ask what had happen in your situation? Did you have issues prior to the disk rupture? Thank you and may you be blessed with SMILES! :)

stoli, I had problems before rupture and after the surgery, it did not help a bit. You keep smiling also!...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back