Diagnosis
01/2009
Country
TH
State
TH
City
Bkk
Hi all. My mom 70 y/o has been diagnosed with als for 1.5 years. From dec. Last year she start experienced shortness of breath and upnto now she puffs at most postures except lay flat down on her back. She seldom use her bipap as if she lay down it seem her breeth is normal for her so she refuse to use the bipap.

I just wonder that any one experience breathing issue like this? I never heard als breathing problem 1st attack in the stand / sit with body up right position but most of pals 1st experience breathing problem when they sleep on their backs.

Are there any pals like my mom case?

I have never heard of ALS's showing like that. One thing for sure about ALS is it will always surprise you.

Al

Your mom needs to be seen by doctor to be sure that there isn't something else going on with her. Is it possible she has pneumonia?

Usually laying flat is the WORST position for someone with breathing issues. If other positions are causing pain I would certainly think the first thing to do is contact her primary care doctor. Did she by chance have any kind of fall before this started happening?

Thaks all for your replies, No she did not have the pneumonia. I am quite sure as i also had her admit to the hospital to check couple of weeks ago. Actually the first intention to have her in hospital was to have doctor monitor while she use the bipap machine, as she complaint it did not help her. The doctor asked her to wear it all night and expect to see she felt less tired in the morning how ever she still felt tired especially toilet time it seem like she need to use extra effort to push thing out than normal. The doctor checked her lung, her heart, blood gas, monitor 24 hours oxigen level heart beating rate all turn out normal except for O2 level drop when she in other position than lay down. He has no idea as well but he said to really help this your mom need a trach.

Really upset and feel helplessness while expect the bipap is able to help her but it seem not.

Depending on what muscles are affected some PALs will have difficulty breathing lying down while others will have trouble breathing sitting up.

There are three major muscle groups involved in breathing - diaphragm, chest wall and abdominal.

A weak diaphragm will cause breathing problems while lying down

Whereas weak abdominal muscles will cause problems sitting upright.

Trying different positions will definitely make a difference.

I breathe much easier sitting up or lying on my side with my chest facing down a bit.

Sounds like ALS has attacked your mom's abdominal muscles first while her diaphragm remains strong. This would explain why your mom has trouble breathing while sitting upright but not lying down.

I am so glad to see this thread. I get short of breath talking or feel like I can't take a deep breath when sitting. I think my abdominal organs are pushing upward. When I am flat in bed or on a 45 degree angle, no problem whatsoever.

To add to this, I had a tram flap recontruction in 1997 where the rectus abominus (the big muscle in the lap) was cut at the bottom and tunneled up to form a breast. I had some alteration in breathing when the support was gone.

I am so glad I am not alone with this.

You're not alone JB

I think I will ask to have my fvc done in a reclining position as well as sitting. I now do all my phoning while lying down. I really hope the pwc goes thru fast so I can get out of bed for longer periods of time and put it in recliner mode.

my husband has the same problem when sitting up he has a hard time breathing but lying down is much better ,,this als is so confusing ..take care

Our clinic respiratory therapist always checks our breathing measurements both sitting and lying down.
Richard's post is spot on. There's more to breathing than just the diaphragm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back