Has anyone else had cancer prior to ALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezie419

Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NY
City
Buffalo
My mom was just diagnosed with ALS (possibly MMN w conduction blocks).

She's had 3 different kinds of cancer in the past 15 years; she had chemo treatments for breast cancer, and we were wondering if anyone else on here has had cancer/chemo treatments prior to getting ALS. I don't *think* they're related, but we were curious.

My husband had a form of leukemia (AML) in 2003. He had lots of chemo along with a stem cell transplant which showed he was completely cancer free. The stem cells were from his sister. In 2007 he was diagnosed with Waldenstrom's, also a blood cancer which stumped the doctors as they had never seen this happen before. They suggested Waldenstrom's was in the stem cells! He was being treated with chemo and antibodies and things were relatively under control. And then ALS. Who knows if cancer and treatments cause or speed up ALS. We wondered about that too.

Dad had basal cell carcinoma, but no chemo treatmet

They reckon that I have a small internal growth on my left side, but say I'd be to weak for an operation, but its more likely due to the fact I have COPD too (meaning my lungs are gone) after formerly smoking 31 years

My wife had breast cancer with chemo treatment and radiation following . This occured 10 years prior to being diagnosed with ALS

1996 Brreat cancer left side, modified radical mastectomy, CMF chem. Tumor was 2.7 cm and triple neg, nodes negative. 2005 new primary rith breast. Segmental matectomy, C-A chem 12 cycles taxotere, radiation. Tumor was tiny but triple neg. Immediatly followed by Grave's disease, MND developed during this time.

My mother had breast cancer when I was in 3rd grade. She had chemo and a mastectomy (and they took some lymph nodes too), but no radiation. Her skin cancer they just cut out, and they gave her a hysterectomy for her uterine cancer. I'll have to ask her more on what her chemo treatment was.

Just wanted to add that I have not had cancer previous to my ALS diagnosis. Seems like several have had it, though.

My PALS was the picture oh health before ALS.
NO CANCER

I had malignant melanoma tumor removed as a child. Recently basel cell carcinoma from my head removed. No Chemo

No cancer that we know of.

No cancer. I think you're suggesting a connection. You're probably aware that people are more likely to respond to this if they have cancer than if they did not, so your replies will be biased. Be careful what you read into the "yes"/"no" ratio.

-Tom

Good point, Tom.

MY name is Darlene (housemouse) I wonder if my husband (Jerry) could possibly have caner now? He has alot of stomach issues...he will go 3 to4 days with no bowel movement, has been going on for months even before he was put on any pain med's. His stomachs bloat, gurles it is really weird. Now he tells me when he needs to urinate it takes a while before he can finally go. Sounds to me like all stomach issues. Really makes him miserable on top of everything else. Jerry was diagonosed about 18 mo.s ago. Has anyone have these problems too? He refuses to have anymore tests. I have a terrible time just trying to get him to a Dr's appt. anymore. I see the Dr. this week and I hope he can help me. Thank You, Darlene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back