Diagnosis
03/2011
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Houston
My husband was diagnoise with ALS last November. He went from a slight drop foot in July to now wearing a brace and losing his strength in his right thumb and now moving to his left hand. Is his disease moving fast or is this considered a slow pace. I know that it effects everyone different but it is driving me crazy when I see a change.

just as a guess I would think that your husband's progression is not that fast. It is difficult to judge progression but the one good thing about it is that it usually plateaus after a while. These plateaus can last months or even years. I don't want to get your hopes too high but try not to think all doom and gloom. Just try to live each day to the best of your ability and look for the good things not the bad things.

Al

Hi! I agree with Al. Y'all try to enjoy what mobility he has and do some things you've always wanted to do, if you can. Good luck to you both.

Welcome to the forums.

Progression is so varied from one PALS to the next, it is difficult to say.you may ask the opinion of your husband's Neuro as he would be more aware of his progression. Work with your Clinic staff to determine what his future needs will be so that you can get the adaptive equipment he will need on hand before it becomes critical.learn to accept that change is inevitable and be proactive so that he can remain as independent as possible.

I've learned to try to accept my losses and mourn them quickly and move on. It isn't always easy but life goes on with a "new normal."

Please let us know how we can help.

Welcome to the forum although I'm sorry you have cause to be here. Let us know how we can help. :)

Thank you for all of your replies. I have been reading this forum since November and have learned a lot from each. My husband did say that he can not worry about what will happen in the the future because he needs to enjoy what he has today. I will follow his lead. He has a daysailer that he enjoys sailing and I hope he has many days sailing her. It is getting harder because he is losing the strength in his hands. Again thank you

Your husband sounds like a very wise man. I have a great admiration for you both. :)

Welcome to the family, so sorry about your husbands diagnosis. We are all here for each other, to laugh and to cry with, and believe it or not have fun in here also. As far as progression goes, everybody is different, go and do alll0 you can now and have fun. One day at a time......{{{HUGS}}}}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back