Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
South Dakota
City
Custer
Recently my feet have been turning so that when I stand to transfer instead of being flat on the floor I am standing on the outside of my feet. It makes it impossible to assist much in the actual transfer. The tween swollen purple feet which I have had for several months now this is a new loss.

My caregiver is becoming frustrated and asked me the last time he transferred me and I fell because I couldn't move my feet, -- why do you do that, meaning why do I roll my feet? My reply in a loud firm voice was -- because I have ALS! LOL. Now that I have had time to think about it I wondered if anyone else has their feet roll to the outside when they lose their ability to stand or shuffle to help move themselves. Maybe I am too quick to blame the demon of the disease.

At the time I didn't think it was an iiinppropriate but now that I think about it maybe I was too quick in my answer. I didn't think it was funny until later.

it happens to me to me thats why i wear my braces without them i cant stand

Me too! Especially my right foot rolls to the outside. If not for my AFOs and walkers I'd hit the deck.

Same here with me Diane, right foot rolls outward , left foot ok for now. Doc told me it was because I had lost muscle on one side but not the other yet?>.....hmmmmmm

My Dad has been having that problem lately also with his left foot. Both feet are swollen quite a bit but more so with his left. Does make transferring difficult

Yes, the only fall I took was when my left ankle rolled under...there are little intrinsic muscles in the ankle that I have lost. So only the left. Ankle also swollen. I take Lasix when it gets too bad. Water aerobics helps, so at least I can do that. I have had an orthotic made, but am waiting until I have to wear it to do so. I am afraid if I immobilize it, the few muscles that still work will go faster.

Good luck,everyone. Isn't this fun?!?

AFOs or ankle brace is a must when this starts happening. My ankle could give out if I step on a piece of grass. Ankles just won't hold up very well. Be careful!

Diane,

My right foot is where it sarted in my loweer body. That foot ie twistedin and up. I neer had the problem with swelling until november. Anytimke my legs are down, they turn a red purplie color and swell quite rapidly. You did get the tilt and recline position on your chair, didn't you?

My husband's left foot had begun to do the same. It is loss of muscle, as already indicated, so you were correct in your answer to a really obtuse question!

both of my feet roll outward when sitting in my wheelchair or on the commode chair. I assume that it's from loss of muscle in the ankles.

Al

diane- i suggest wearing your braces as much as possible and overnight if you can stand it.
feet, just like hands and arms and such, can contract and this becomes so so so very painful. my pals wears his only when he sleeps to help with this, and the drop foot (feet) of course.
I hope your caregiver doesnt get too frustrated with you.

My right foot turns inward also. Hard to transfer unless my foot is flat on the floor. My legs are still rather strong so that helps.

I've been having a lot of twitching in my legs lately so I guess they will be the next to go.

As for the purple, swollen feet.....I thought it might be blood pooling there from sitting. ? At any rate, Ladyinn, you are not alone.

My right foot does this and yes this is caused from ALS. I wear AFO's on both legs and it takes care of this. I also wear a compression hose on my right leg for the swelling. Take time to put your feet up.

Judy

Looks like we're all in the same boat.

Purple swollen feet from muscle loss. Muscle helps venous return and the blood will pool without that pumping action. There are meds that can help this. Feet up and not too long sitting also help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back